• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cylinder 4 misfire on startup

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So if my truck sits overnight when I get up to go to work I start up my truck and it shudders for about 5 seconds and then runs normally. My check engine light came on and the computer said a misfire in cylinder 4. What would cause this? What would it need to be fixed?

mlunsford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Off Road
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
mine did the same. Do a leak down test and see if your radiator starts spitting water = cracked head.

Mine did that especially after two days, water was leaking down and on startup was misfire.

you can also let is sit for a couple of days, pull the wires from the distributor, then pull the plug out and crank the engine over, you will probably find water at the spark plug hole.

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mine did the same. Do a leak down test and see if your radiator starts spitting water = cracked head.

Mine did that especially after two days, water was leaking down and on startup was misfire.

you can also let is sit for a couple of days, pull the wires from the distributor, then pull the plug out and crank the engine over, you will probably find water at the spark plug hole.
There is no water leaking anywhere. I will try the second option tomorrow. Thanks man.

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I went to leave my GF's house got in my truck and started it up. It shuttered again for about 5 seconds and while I was looking at the gear selection I saw my check engine light go out. made the 30 min drive with no problems. I thought the light had to be turned out manually? Maybe it fixed itself, or the bulb blew in the dash. If the bulb blew it would be the hole cluster not just the "check engine" light, right? It's weird.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals