• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Cylinder 3 and 4 won’t fire

gbcooper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I have an 85 ranger 2.3 Lima with EFI. I’ve had the truck sitting for a few years so I’ve been trying to get her going again. I did a top end rebuild because I suspected leaky valve seals and resealed her. It ran like a misfire with lots of smoke beforehand but there was evidence that #3 had massive head gasket blowout when I disassembled it. I’ve put it all back together now but I can’t get #3 or #4 to fire.
I’ve checked for spark and the valves. I pulled off the injectors and put 12v to them and they worked fine. When I run the truck, it misfires bad and I know it’s those 2 cylinders because if I pull the wires off the distributor nothing happens. Any ideas? It has spark and a working injector.

My only theory is that the 2 injectors aren’t grounded or the wires are corroded at some point in the harness and shorting each other out. I have a multimeter and a wiring diagram so someone please throw me some suggestions. How do I test the injectors with multimeter? What should they read?
Also, in the back of the Haynes manual I found the diagram and it looks line #1 and #2 are grounded together while #3 and #4 aren’t. Is that the culprit? I haven’t traced the wires back yet since it’s night time here but if anyone else has had this issue or know what’s going on - please let me know.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I'd do a compression test first; it's not clear if you fixed the "massive blowout" on #3. Without enough compression, spark and a working injector won't fire the cylinder.

gbcooper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I'd do a compression test first; it's not clear if you fixed the "massive blowout" on #3. Without enough compression, spark and a working injector won't fire the cylinder.
What size adapter do I need? I actually have a harbor freight one but none of the adapters fit or threaded.
Also, when I had the head off I took the time to clean the surface real well. Albeit I didn’t have it machined. I let about half an inch of atf sit in each cylinder to gauge the rings and it took about 3 days to show the pistons again. I figured they’d leak differently if 1 was crud.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I'm not sure what size adapter you'll need.

It just makes a lot of sense to confirm the compression (as it's not difficult to do and you did have a head gasket issue), before you start chasing other things.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The spark plug threads are standard 14mm, you might need the longer adapter on there to work.

all 4 injectors are powered at all times with the key on, the computer only has two injector drivers in it that trigger cylinders 1 and 4 at the same time and cylinders 2 and 3 at the same time, IE batch fire... If you look at the turbo swap area there's a I think '91 Ranger engine wire harness drawing, the injector wiring is the same even though in '91 a Ranger had distributorless ignition and a mass air flow sensor instead of a MAP sensor.

I would check the power at injector 2 and 3 and continuity between the signal wire on those two injectors and the pin at the computer.

gbcooper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I’ll do a check when I get home just to make sure. Based on these responses and a good sleep - I doubt it’s the wires. I’ll report back with a compression test

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals