• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cyl 6 misfire again

riverjig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have searched multiple threads and the ones that seem promising, stop without the end solution. I have a 1996 4.0 and have had multiple issues trying to get it to smog. I have replaced an o2 sensor, spark plugs and spark plug wires. After this, truck was running fine and then a code got thrown saying cyl 6 misfire detected. I took it to a shop and they said the spark plug wire to that cyl was faulty. So replaced it and seemed to be fine. I continued trying to complete my drive cycle and after about 100 miles, check engine light came on again. Cyl 6 misfire detected again.

I already payed someone to diagnose my spark plug wire which seemed like the biggest waste of money ever. I dont know what my next step should be. I would appreciate any help.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd start with another new plug for #6..
Big JIm

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd start with another new plug for #6..
Big JIm
after you throw a new plug in.....add a large bottle of Techron to the fuel tank

riverjig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok. im just gonna get all new plugs, even though the ones i have are pretty new but not the factory specified ones. New plug wires since they are warrantied, and a bottle of techron. Go from there. Thanx. Keep you posted

4.0L2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure you have your plugs going to the right slots on the cap.
Make sure your plugs are gaped correctly.
Buy a cheap compression gauge from harbor fright and check the compression on each cylinder. It's pretty easy and affective. It will tell you the PSI of each cylinder under a load.

Run some engine honey if the cylinder is low on comp.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Had the same thing happen to me, but cylinder 4. First go around it was the wire. I did change the plugs at the same time. Six months later, I had the cylinder 4 misfire again and it was the plug. I guess maybe it was cracked, or I cracked it putting it in.

riverjig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok. I replaced the spark plug wires and the factory spec'd plugs from motorcraft, gapped correctly. Well see how that does. Keep you posted. Thanks for the replies..

riverjig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Finally got the problem diagnosed

So after all of the diagnosing I did thanks to everyones help here, I decided to take it in. Just didnt have any more time to devote. Turns out it was an injector. After that being replaced, a week later, check engine light comes on. So, I take it back in. They do a compression test. Turns out cylinders 1 2 3 are at 100 psi which is fine. 4 5 6 are at 75 psi. SO they recommended that I get a new engine. Im not sure if thats the only option. I probably should take it somewhere else for a second opinion right?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah!

So after all of the diagnosing I did thanks to everyones help here, I decided to take it in. Just didnt have any more time to devote. Turns out it was an injector. After that being replaced, a week later, check engine light comes on. So, I take it back in. They do a compression test. Turns out cylinders 1 2 3 are at 100 psi which is fine. 4 5 6 are at 75 psi. SO they recommended that I get a new engine. Im not sure if thats the only option. I probably should take it somewhere else for a second opinion right?
I'd get me a compression tester and do it myself! Pull all the plugs, hold the TB OPEN and crank each cylinder till the pressure quits rising. If the first two are higher than the mechanic said they are, I'd start grinning to myself.
Big Jim:hottubfun::wub:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals