• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cybertruck Reveal

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
not gonna add fuel or gasoline to this fire. Discharged batteries are not a problem. Just like empty gas tanks dont explode or catch fire.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lots of farmers in my neck of the woods too. What does an average day look like for you and your truck? What do you do? How much of it's capabilities do you use, and is that worth the cost of operating it? It's fine to have a truck for truck things, but that doesn't mean I need to drive one everywhere I go.
An EV costs about $0.03/mile driven with average electric rates of $0.13/kwh. At current fuel prices, a new Ranger costs about $0.11/mile, and an 06 F150 with a 5.4 costs about $0.17/mile:

If you put 15k miles per year on those vehicles, the EV would be $2k cheaper EVERY YEAR than the old F150 just in fuel. Not including maintenance, or a rise in gas prices. Trucks are a great tool, but they're not always the best tool. I'd really suggest looking doing the customized comparison route with your vehicle and any EV to see if the math would work out enough to justify an EV purchase or not> Here's a link to the fully customizeable tool:

I just have an acreage, I am not a "real" farmer. I deal with them every day though, right now they are all running anhydrous. It has been a constant parade of of pickups pulling tanks out of town as harvest winds down. They go out to wherever they are working, unhook and get parked by the fence until the tanks run out and then it is back to town to trade it in for another. They do this every day it is fit until the ground gets too hard or until they get done. I don't know how an EV would like this, heavy towing and sitting outside a long ways from power during typically cold and dreary weather.

During planting they run around seed tenders, summer bale carriers, fall combine heads... they get ran quite a bit.

My '150 is kind of a one stop shop. For awhile last winter it was the only thing that could get thru the snow to the highway, I run equipment around as needed, I went down to Kansas a few years ago to pickup a 4 bottom plow with a trailer. Acquired a new-to-me tractor a couple years ago that didn't run so the ol' 150 hauled it home. I also pick up large appliances/carpet an hour away in Omaha. I had to put in a water line a couple years ago so it pulled the trencher out. It does... whatever I need done. I would be lost without it.

Honestly I would rather get a cheap beater Taurus or something like that than a EV. But that is another thing to put tires on, a battery in, plates on, insure...

Using very round numbers I run any $1.5k worth of gas thru my ‘150 a year which even if you double that it doesn’t leave a lot of room for a fuel miser with more upkeep and probably payments to come out ahead.

not gonna add fuel or gasoline to this fire. Discharged batteries are not a problem. Just like empty gas tanks dont explode or catch fire.
Actually empty/nearly empty gas tanks are more flammable than full gas tanks. :stirthepot:

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I just have an acreage, I am not a "real" farmer. I deal with them every day though, right now they are all running anhydrous. It has been a constant parade of of pickups pulling tanks out of town as harvest winds down. They go out to wherever they are working, unhook and get parked by the fence until the tanks run out and then it is back to town to trade it in for another. They do this every day it is fit until the ground gets too hard or until they get done. I don't know how an EV would like this, heavy towing and sitting outside a long ways from power during typically cold and dreary weather.

During planting they run around seed tenders, summer bale carriers, fall combine heads... they get ran quite a bit.

My '150 is kind of a one stop shop. For awhile last winter it was the only thing that could get thru the snow to the highway, I run equipment around as needed, I went down to Kansas a few years ago to pickup a 4 bottom plow with a trailer. Acquired a new-to-me tractor a couple years ago that didn't run so the ol' 150 hauled it home. I also pick up large appliances/carpet an hour away in Omaha. I had to put in a water line a couple years ago so it pulled the trencher out. It does... whatever I need done. I would be lost without it.

Honestly I would rather get a cheap beater Taurus or something like that than a EV. But that is another thing to put tires on, a battery in, plates on, insure...

Using very round numbers I run any $1.5k worth of gas thru my ‘150 a year which even if you double that it doesn’t leave a lot of room for a fuel miser with more upkeep and probably payments to come out ahead.

Actually empty/nearly empty gas tanks are more flammable than full gas tanks. :stirthepot:
I don't expect electric to make any breaks into agriculture until its more of a hybrid form. Gas and Diesel will continue to be king for quite some time for these uses. I do wonder if there was as many charging stations as gas stations if it would speed up adoption of electric in some of these places.

My vehicles are used everyday. The wife and I drive over 100k a year even tho we don't have traveling jobs. Electric has saved me lots of $$ on gas and maintenance already.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't expect electric to make any breaks into agriculture until its more of a hybrid form. Gas and Diesel will continue to be king for quite some time for these uses. I do wonder if there was as many charging stations as gas stations if it would speed up adoption of electric in some of these places.

My vehicles are used everyday. The wife and I drive over 100k a year even tho we don't have traveling jobs. Electric has saved me lots of $$ on gas and maintenance already.
I doubt having the closest public charging station an hour away helps any at all.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Obviously buying old, heavily depreciated stuff is better than buying new. I'd say you're probably doing it right. But I think it's funny that people get so worried about the fringe cases that they often let them dictate a large, expensive purchase. If you're new vehicle shopping and make a couple of long trips per year, you don't have to have an ICE. The money saved on fuel costs can pay for an ICE rental if you're really worried about EV range. If you need a truck full of mulch a couple of times per year, you can buy a cheap car and use the fuel savings to pay for mulch delivery. I'm not going to buy a house with 3 extra bedrooms for the 4 days a year that out of town family comes to visit. I'm going to buy a smaller house and use the money saved to foot a hotel bill for them and still come out ahead. The farmers by our houses that need a work truck for a couple of weeks at a time, a couple of times per year would likely be better off buying an EV and a used truck than something new. Or renting a work truck when needed, even though that's the most "unfarmer" thing that I can imagine them doing.

People rationalize their purchases in funny ways, but it seems especially prevalent in the EV discussion. Everybody talks about how an EV won't work for their annual long road trip, or because they tow a boat twice a year or something. For most people, their vehicle does those things a very small percentage of the time. Most of the time it's just sitting there taking up space, or driving to/from work with a single person inside. I think a lot of people would benefit from rethinking purchases like that and focusing on the tool that works the best for the way they use a vehicle the most. You don't need a lifted jeep on 33s to go to the grocery store. You don't need a King Ranch F250 to commute to work alone. If you want those things for emotional reasons, that's your right, but make an informed and educated decision rather than impulsively thinking that something different might not work simply because it's different.

Last edited:

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I doubt having the closest public charging station an hour away helps any at all.
I mean setup 1 for 1. So for each gas pump there is a fast supercharger. even tho most people would never really need to stop. in 7 months my wife had to use a supercharger instead of our home charger during her daily commute twice and in both instances she drove over 600 miles that day.

Obviously buying old, heavily depreciated stuff is better than buying new. I'd say you're probably doing it right. But I think it's funny that people get so worried about the fringe cases that they often let them dictate a large, expensive purchase. If you're new vehicle shopping and make a couple of long trips per year, you don't have to have an ICE. The money saved on fuel costs can pay for an ICE rental if you're really worried about EV range. If you need a truck full of mulch a couple of times per year, you can buy a cheap car and use the fuel savings to pay for mulch delivery. I'm not going to buy a house with 3 extra bedrooms for the 4 days a year that out of town family comes to visit. I'm going to buy a smaller house and use the money saved to foot a hotel bill for them and still come out ahead. The farmers by our houses that need a work truck for a couple of weeks at a time, a couple of times per year would likely be better off buying an EV and a used truck than something new. Or renting a work truck when needed, even though that's the most "unfarmer" thing that I can imagine them doing.

People rationalize their purchases in funny ways, but it seems especially prevalent in the EV discussion. Everybody talks about how an EV won't work for their annual long road trip, or because they tow a boat twice a year or something. For most people, their vehicle does those things a very small percentage of the time. Most of the time it's just sitting there taking up space, or driving to/from work with a single person inside. I think a lot of people would benefit from rethinking purchases like that and focusing on the tool that works the best for the way they use a vehicle the most. You don't need a lifted jeep on 33s to go to the grocery store. You don't need a King Ranch F250 to commute to work alone. If you want those things for emotional reasons, that's your right, but make an informed and educated decision rather than impulsively thinking that something different might not work simply because it's different.
I live in farm country and anymore I feel like none of those trucks have stuff in bed unless its scrap junk that been sitting in bed for the trucks whole life. Farmers around me are towing hay and horse trailers. They don't need a bed they just need something that can tow alot and trailers are cheap

Hell I probably shouldn't even have a truck since most days I don't use the bed. I've only driven Rangers and owned 6 of them since I was 16 and wish it could stay that way. I've done the whole owning 6 cars at once (including the jeep on 33's that was only taken to the store) and its silly. I'd rather have just our 2 daily drivers instead of having a truck that sits in driveway most days of the year.

In my opinion the biggest advantage of CyberTruck is getting mpg similar to a small car while having the ability to tow something when I do need it. Also with every other vehicle getting bigger and everyone more interested in their cellphone than driving, it kinda makes sense to have a larger vehicle to protect yourself.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

i agree with alot youve said. if i could afford an ev id love to have one, BUT i do need a truck. i daily drive a duramax 2500. does that mean that i have a bed full of work stuff, and a 10,000 pound trailer behind me every day? no. but i go camping more weekends than not and because i cant afford a 3rd car im stuck with the 2500 as a daily driver. or on fridays the race truck ranger. the 14k towing capacity of the cybertruck would be a very happy solution to that.
my situation for instance, I live in CA. 3 miles from the beach, 7 miles from work. 100 miles from the desert and 120 miles from big bear (my place to see actual winter). an electric truck with a 400 mile range will take me to and from anywhere i need to go on one charge as well as the other 24.2 million people that live in southern california.
if an electric vehicle doesnt fit your needs cuz you have to drive 500 miles up hill both ways to the nearest grocery store that doesnt mean its not useful for someone else. one thing people often forget is not everyone's situation is like their own, not every one whos interested in a truck is a farmer in the rust belt.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if an electric vehicle doesnt fit your needs cuz you have to drive 500 miles up hill both ways to the nearest grocery store that doesnt mean its not useful for someone else. one thing people often forget is not everyone's situation is like their own, not every one whos interested in a truck is a farmer in the rust belt.
I wasn't trying to imply that. I was just trying to say when people start laying blanket statements down about "most people" a lot of times they think "most people" are like them (the people making the statements)

It is a big country with a lot of people going in different directions. Not everybody wants/needs the same things and IMO this very much goes both ways.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
absolutely. I understand that fully, i was just offering a different view point by explaining my situation.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Oh i know they do.

However...i would be interested to see what would happen up a decent hill from a stop with a good load if you started in 2nd to take the low 1st gear out of the equation.

My next truck is very likely to be a 2011+ F150 (yours is an expy right?), but im gettin the 5.0.

Have you ever even tried to understand how an Ecoboost works?

It's a low rpm engine. A wild and happy ridiculous result of oil control technology and monster inferred logic programming.

If you educate yourself a little...you would not have to wonder about your scenario as listed.

It's pathetic....no contest.

There is nowhere on its output... where any big 3 brand OEM .... 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a big block from the last century out performs it.

It will embarrass a stock 460 gear to gear at all points and especially on steep hills. And double extra special at towing up and over 10000 feet. Whether it has a 10 speed auto..
Nv4500...or a t 18...

And it will murder a creeper gear trans. as they are too weak for one of the 3.5's stock let alone with any sort tune on it that actually lets some power out of the bottle.

so bone ass stock, no problems..

or your 97 with the best fancy computer chip tune vs a current eb with a fancy computer chip tune....

problem with the ecoboost...
it will turn those old transmissions in to marbles driven with speed in mind and power switched on..

Of course it gets the same or worse economy towing 10 k.....

but Still a Winnie win win.

if you really want a 5.0 f150...get a 17 or newer. they tow a magnitude better then an 11.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Not saying that it is but if the batteries are the issue with the Tesla fires, they aren't the only ones having problems. Boeing is having a rough time because of the battery and them catching fire issue. It seems when they work as they should, they are fantastic but when they don't they really don't. Also, I haven't heard one way or the other, did Tesla solve the "bricking" issue that at least one model of their car was having? It seems they were notorious for being completely dead in the water if their batteries were allowed to discharge below a certain point and could not be recharged again to get the car going.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have you ever even tried to understand how an Ecoboost works?

It's a low rpm engine. A wild and happy ridiculous result of oil control technology and monster inferred logic programming.

If you educate yourself a little...you would not have to wonder about your scenario as listed.

It's pathetic....no contest.

There is nowhere on its output... where any big 3 brand OEM .... 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a big block from the last century out performs it.

It will embarrass a stock 460 gear to gear at all points and especially on steep hills. And double extra special at towing up and over 10000 feet. Whether it has a 10 speed auto..
Nv4500...or a t 18...
470 lb-ft @ 2,500 rpm. SIR!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
really?

bad loans to keep shale oil pumping at a loss.?.?

what is the lift cost of the average shale well.?.? with your statement....it would be what...?? 70bbl.....

is that accurate.....or is 20-25bbl. a closer measure?.?.?

oil is not a free market commodity in most places. outside of the us and ioc's....generally it is state owned. and no country in opec or east of there plays by the rules. especially china....there is no such thing as free trade with china.

the bakken is real light...too light. the light ends and ngl's are potentially an issue with vapor pressure. that has a cost to mitigate it. back in 15 there was some smoke and mirrors bullshit on the legal side....but that shit aint going for no loss. there is no easy money in the industry the last two years outside of some huge swaps and sells with places trying to outrun that debt your referring too.
On the whole the entire shale oil industry is very low net energy - it takes almost as much energy to get the oil as you get back by burning it. In the details someone always makes money in such a fraud, just as money was made in the giant mortgage bubble that popped in 2008. The wells deplete fast and they do the most promising ones first, so fields decline fast too. No, it's a big bubble that will fail, and the bankers will laugh while the rest of us pay for it. Privatize the profits and socialize the losses.

Nobody is discussing the EV from a system point of view, only looking at the hardware of individual vehicles. It's been possible to make a comparatively very nice EV for a hundred years, but that doesn't make an automotive transportation system viable.

That an automotive transportation system that looks anything like what we are used to isn't viable with EVs, and the required charging time and the need to seriously increase the capacity of our electric generation, transmission and distribution system doesn't mean that the ICE automobile will stay around. Over time fewer will be able to afford the fuel costs, leaving a smaller number to fund the overheads required to maintain roads, etc.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals