• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cybertruck Reveal

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Egg nog ice cream is not good for your insides...

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Egg nog ice cream is not good for your insides...
It's good for your taste buds though. Reminds me I need to go pick up a bottle or three of premixed eggnog. For tomorrow.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
I still don't want to be a manufactures lab rat.... It's just too untested. Any auto manufacture could make something that looks big and badass but how is the reliability? Have they tested EVERY scenario? Do the batteries handle well in the cold if they have sat for a month? How the hell do you see out of that tiny back window? Accidents happen, no matter how safe or smart the vehicle is it still won't stop a drunk driver from rear ending you. Then what? you're stuck with a couple ton fire hazardous paper weight that you can't even total because no one knows how to handle the batteries? No thanks. Tesla definitely has not thought about what happens when the vehicle is totaled.... I think Tesla should change their name for one (Nikola would be pissed since it doesn't run on lightning bolts) and then have their own trade in/recycling center at the same dealership you bought it from... Kinda like a core charge for a battery. It's their junk, they should be able to dispose of it properly. Just give a rebate for their next pile of junk they make.
Electric vehicles are safer in crashes than traditional gas

I agree Tesla needs to come up with a method to handle spent batteries, mainly just to reuse the elements for new batteries which helps reduce overall costs. But none of the large automakers are on the hook for their millions of old vehicles littering junkyards.

You don't buy Tesla from a dealer you have to order online and picked it up from a service center which is more like a garage than a dealer.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Electric vehicles are safer in crashes than traditional gas

I agree Tesla needs to come up with a method to handle spent batteries, mainly just to reuse the elements for new batteries which helps reduce overall costs. But none of the large automakers are on the hook for their millions of old vehicles littering junkyards.

You don't buy Tesla from a dealer you have to order online and picked it up from a service center which is more like a garage than a dealer.
Did you see the link I posted above? That doesn't look safer to me. LMAO!
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-11-14/abandoned-manufacturer-victim-tesla-crash-cant-find-anyone-who-will-properly

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-07/stolen-tesla-car-chase-ends-flaming-car-wreck-so-violent-it-confused-fireworks

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-09-03/ntsb-tesla-driver-was-looking-down-car-autopilot-smashing-fire-truck-2018

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-10-23/teslas-futuristic-door-handles-being-blamed-killing-48-year-old-man-trapped-burning

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I really like the idea that the manufacturer is on the hook for disposing of the "wrapping" and disposing of the "leftovers" at end of life. Boy, what a wake up call the public would get. IE; cost of goods would go thru the roof to cover the cost of recycling. But some manufacturers would get it right and learn how to make something with near 0% environmental impact. Maybe one day....probably not tho.
I still don't want to be a manufactures lab rat.... It's just too untested. Any auto manufacture could make something that looks big and badass but how is the reliability? Have they tested EVERY scenario? Do the batteries handle well in the cold if they have sat for a month? How the hell do you see out of that tiny back window? Accidents happen, no matter how safe or smart the vehicle is it still won't stop a drunk driver from rear ending you. Then what? you're stuck with a couple ton fire hazardous paper weight that you can't even total because no one knows how to handle the batteries? No thanks. Tesla definitely has not thought about what happens when the vehicle is totaled.... I think Tesla should change their name for one (Nikola would be pissed since it doesn't run on lightning bolts) and then have their own trade in/recycling center at the same dealership you bought it from... Kinda like a core charge for a battery. It's their junk, they should be able to dispose of it properly. Just give a rebate for their next pile of junk they make.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I want to clarify that what I said was that they would work for most people, not that they are what most people need. I'm not trying to tell anybody else what they need. But I am willing to suggest what might work or not, especially if it's something that might not have been considered.

I define "Most" as the majority, or anything over 50% which is pretty common usage of the word.

The DoE says that 63% of US housing units have access to a garage, so in theory MOST Americans could fairly easily have access to charging. Even though you don't really need a garage to have a proper outlet, it probably makes it more likely:

The average American drives between 30-50 miles per day.

That distance would be covered comfortably by every EV sold in the last 5 years, even with heavy battery degradation. So they work for MOST situations.

As previously discussed, there are brand new EVs available for below the average selling price of a new vehicle right now, and they're typiclly very reasonable on the used market too. So MOST new car buyers can afford an EV at this point, and quite a few used car buyers as well.
In theory a 1960's VW bug would work for most of my driving when the weather is nice, 10mi each way. My V8 F-150 with a 22gal tank only sees a gas station once every 2 or 3 weeks.

As long as you are worker bee that only ever does average, yeah that would work great.

Lots of farmers around here so "average" use for a truck would vary from the suburbs.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The argument that evs are better for the environment is pure BS. The electricity has to come from somewhere, it's not unicorn skittles. Places like China, it comes from coal. Really bad for the environment. Even in the U.S., coal is used in some places. Also tell the people who dig the big huge mines in the ground to obtain the materials like lithium and cobalt that are used in the batteries, how much better it is for the environment. And come the day the battery has to be disposed of, somewhere there is going to be one huge junk yard of dangerous lithium ion batteries rotting away.

Better for the environment my ass! There's a guy over in Australia that recently wrecked his tesla. He cannot find anyone to deal with the wreckage due to the batteries. No one will touch it. There it sits, waiting for some wrecking business to reclaim it, but no one will take it.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-11-14/abandoned-manufacturer-victim-tesla-crash-cant-find-anyone-who-will-properly

This is simply untrue. Yeah, power generation requires energy, and that energy can come from dirty sources. Coal burning power stations in the US are converting to cheaper, cleaner natural gas quickly:

It's still a fossil fuel that creates CO2, but it skips the nasty NOx and particulates. It's also a lot easier to regulate and clean up a single power plant than it is to clean up the 100k vehicles traveling all over the area that the power plant serves.

That same thing is true for what comes out of the tailpipe of ICEs vs EVs. Forget the environment for a minute. Tailpipe emissions are bad for humans. Things like NOx, Hydrocarbons and particulates are a very large factor in determining local air quality, and it adversely affects anybody with compromised respiratory systems (kids, elderly, or those with asthma/COPD/emphysema, etc). Extended exposure to locations with low air quality can lead to tons of medical issues and premature death:

This doesn't even include CO2 production and green house gases, which have a more negative impact on the environment than humans. EVs have no tailpipe emissions. So the CO2 created in their lifecycle comes only from production and then electricity generation. CO2 for an ICE comes from production, refining of the fuel, and then burning that fuel.

It's true that making EVs is worse for the planet than making traditional cars! They have a very large upfront CO2 footprint. But the elimination of tailpipe emissions over the next 250k miles, and the fact that power generation tends to be cleaner than drilling/pumping/refining/transporting petroleum more than makes up for that initial negative impact:

Since electricity comes from different sources, it's cleaner in some places than others as you alluded to. Here's a link to determine how much pollution comes from generating electricity in your specific location:

Nationally, electricity comes primarily from 35% natural gas, 27% coal, 19% nuclear and the rest is renewable energy. This means that using the national numbers an EV creates about 5k lbs of CO2 per year through power generation. A typical gasoline ICE creates more than 11k lbs of CO2.
In my Oklahoma where you live, it might actually be better than the national average as natural gas and wind create 80% of the electricity in the state compared to just 17% being coal powered.

These are all valid sources. They're science based, non partisan government entities. They're not trying to generate clicks by being hyperbolic or generating controversy like some other websites (ahem zerohedge).

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What about when they self-immolate and burn to the ground with no help from anyone. Gee, look at all that harmful crap soaring into the atmosphere. Below is only one example. Far as I've read, two entire truck fulls of teslas self imomolated and burned to the ground in the dessert of Nevada on their way to Philly to be shipped overseas. And there's that as well, every tesla being shipped overseaas is put on amny truck loads and shipped to Philly for the boat ride overseas. Sounds good for the environment.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04-18/tesla-spontaneously-catches-fire-incinerated-after-burning-hours

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-15/tesla-spotaneously-catches-fire-during-test-drive-france

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-17/tesla-claims-2014-model-s-fire-started-after-bullet-was-fired-cars-battery-pack

And the superchargers do it too. LMAO! At least the REAL supercharger on my Lightning doesn't self immolate.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-11-18/tesla-supercharger-catches-fire-new-jersey-convenience-store

The NHTSA is on it! ROFLMAO!!

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-10-04/nhtsa-now-finally-investigating-tesla-battery-fire-issues

And it's not jsut teslas' BWAHAHAHA

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04-22/its-contagious-nio-electric-car-spontaneously-catches-fire-china

I could go on-and-on here, all frikkin day. ;-)

Last edited:

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

Can't speak to 1st article but there's been lots of Tesla's wrecked in US and no one has reported this problem

Article 2. I can find tons of links of people wrecking gas cars and them lighting on fire.

Article 3. Go get in your vehicle. take hands off wheel and look away from the road. Tell me how long you make it without crashing. Autopilot isn't perfect and you have to pay attention.

Article 4. If gas car wrecks and doors can't be forced open the same issue occurs. Not sure why this person didn't crawl out the window unless they were already unconscious because of wreck.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
What about when they self-immolate and burn to the ground with no help from anyone. Gee, look at all that harmful crap soaring into the atmosphere. Below is only one example. Far as I've read, two entire truck fulls of teslas self imomolated and burned to the ground in the dessert of Nevada on their way to Philly to be shipped overseas. And there's that as well, every tesla being shipped overseaas is put on amny truck loads and shipped to Philly for the boat ride overseas. Sounds good for the environment.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04-18/tesla-spontaneously-catches-fire-incinerated-after-burning-hours

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-15/tesla-spotaneously-catches-fire-during-test-drive-france

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-17/tesla-claims-2014-model-s-fire-started-after-bullet-was-fired-cars-battery-pack

And the superchargers do it too. LMAO!

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-11-18/tesla-supercharger-catches-fire-new-jersey-convenience-store

The NHTSA is on it! ROFLMAO!!

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-10-04/nhtsa-now-finally-investigating-tesla-battery-fire-issues
Yep. vehicles catch on fire. Battery and gas powered. Their fueling stations catch on fire.

We can go back and forth sharing articles all day. https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/03/500-gas-car-fires-per-day-can-we-please-get-serious-about-electric-car-battery-fires/

I'll take my chances with electric.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Tesla auto pilot in the future...

walle2.gif

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The amount of electric vehicles on the road is infinitesimal compared to gas and diesel vehicles. Yet, I could go on and on, all day posting links to electric vehicle fires. What's worse about the electrics to me, is they just go up in flames sitting there, not even turned on. And you cannot extinguish a lithium fire anywhere as easy as a typical gas or diesel fire. Most fire companies just stand by and watch them burn to the ground, polluting the atmosphere heavily with the poisonous fumes. No thanks.

You can has your electric vehicle. I've been driving since 1976 and have never witnessed a vehicle fire personally.

I'll stick with ICE vehicles. I will never, ever own a sparky vehicle. Guaranteed.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’ve seen vehicles on fire. Usually some hoopty mobile that has had one sketchy repair too many done to it. The last one was a rather sad looking Silverado.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals