• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cybertruck Reveal

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Really! The stock front brakes on my Ranger lasted 15 years. The drums 19. It's because, even though it's an automatic, I down shift it when coming to stops. I turn the OD off as soon as I start my vehicles. don't turn it on unless I hit a highway of a speed over 55. So I'm already out of OD. Then shift down to second when the speed is low enough. Mustang is a five speed auto. So I down shift it accordingly. Use the engine for braking as much as possible. Only use the brakes at the very last. Lot of times I never even need to use them, light turns green and I'm on the way, already in a low enough gear to motor on. Been doing that since I started driving, as my Dad always did it. Even back when I had my 78 Trans Am, down shifted it when driving. Brakes last a long time if you do this. My 15 going on 16 year old Lightning still has the original brake pads. Of course, it only has 69,000 miles on it.

Yeah....me too. But 3-4 transmissions in a year kind of sucks....but 80-90 k a year wot and wheelin when you can does that.....

You are lucky

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not many ICE vehicles of that vintage in circulation.

Rust in the rust belt don't care what makes it move... and stainless isn't really stainless. It is stain resistant.
Stain-Less is what folks who know and love sharp instruments call it. It still corrodes, just takes more abuse and the wrong chemicals to do so. Aluminum corrodes, and when it does it's just plain UGLY. Biggest problem I see in repairing aircraft is corroded aluminum. YUCK. First it corrodes, then it cracks from stress where the corrosion started. Had to do some ugly repairs on aircraft due to this.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah....me too. But 3-4 transmissions in a year kind of sucks....but 80-90 k a year wot and wheelin when you can does that.....

You are lucky
Huh? Three to four transmissions a year? In the same vehicle. I change the fluid and filters in my trannys on a somewhat regular basis. But I've never had to change one. Been driving since 76, only tranny I dropped was a Muncie M22 out of a 70 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400. Only tranny I've had to drop, and it was a manual. Sucked.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Stain-Less is what folks who know and love sharp instruments call it. It still corrodes, just takes more abuse and the wrong chemicals to do so. Aluminum corrodes, and when it does it's just plain UGLY. Biggest problem I see in repairing aircraft is corroded aluminum. YUCK. First it corrodes, then it cracks from stress where the corrosion started. Had to do some ugly repairs on aircraft due to this.
Corrosion has killed a lot of airplanes.

I was poking around in the bomb bay of the B-36 at SAC west of Omaha, the bottom panels of the fuselage are pitted to the point it has holes in the aluminum from when it was on static display outside.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Huh? Three to four transmissions a year? In the same vehicle. I change the fluid and filters in my trannys on a somewhat regular basis. But I've never had to change one. Been driving since 76, only tranny I dropped was a Muncie M22 out of a 70 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400. Only tranny I've had to drop, and it was a manual. Sucked.
I seen that post.

If you want I can show you how to break a perfectly good transmission. Bring your 4wd to Rauch Creek.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We recently had to replace a front spar on a Navy Boeing E-6. Just outboard of number one engine. Upper spar. It had cracked sometime in the past from corrosion. A Navy tow crew smashed the plane into a building and busted it's back where the vertical fin joins the fuselage. The crack was near 18 inches long. Plane wasn't scheduled for maintenance for another two years. If they hadn't smashed the plane into a building, it would still be flying. Scary stuff. It's still in a hangar waiting for Boeing to repair the broken back.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I seen that post.

If you want I can show you how to break a perfectly good transmission. Bring your 4wd to Rauch Creek.
Don't have any four wheel drives. My Ranger is a SPORT model two wheel drive. I don't know if downshifting an auto is bad for it or not. But never had a problem doing so. I don't do it at high speed. I down shift at reasonably slow speeds. Maybe it's bad for the bands? Just don't know that myself.

Ev's. I just don't have a need myself. I live six miles from work. Use about one half gallon of gas each way, mainly due to warming up prior to driving. And I like my vehicles to make some noise. Quiet just doesn't do it for me.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Well.....there you have it.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Why do you mess with Inferior range stock power 460,s when you can tow faster farther and more reliably anywhere with an old diesel.?.?.?
I aint startin this debate again. My 460 im more then happy with powerwise.

I will say i have given it thought though before, jumpin to a diesel, but theres a few reasons why...

1- They are just a general pain in the ass. Dumping in antigel, plugging them in, etc etc.

2- Parts are usually pricier and im not a diesel mechanic, so alot of stuff would get farmed out.

3- I usually aim pretty low in prices, and i can get a whole lot nicer big block truck for whatever price then a diesel, even an old one.

4- Normally it sits in the driveway till i need it, i know its not ideal for any vehicle, but i feel diesels are more sensitive to this.

Dont get me wrong, if i could find a really nice OBS 7.3 with a 5speed, an 89-93 12valve ram, or even an bullnose 6.9 dually, id defiantly consider it. But theres no way im touching any diesel after 2007.

I know you love the 6.2/6.5. I almost bought a 6.5L GMC crewcab when i bought my 460. But im just....i dont know. They dont flip my trigger like the big inch gassers.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
And I invented the potato...
its not far fetched for companies to create their own alloys. The company i work for does it for a number of products. one being as "dumb" as track spikes for Michael Johnsons golden track shoesback way before i worked here and were a spec of a company compared to space x or JPL

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
its not far fetched for companies to create their own alloys. The company i work for does it for a number of products. one being as "dumb" as track spikes for Michael Johnsons golden track shoesback way before i worked here and were a spec of a company compared to space x or JPL
According to a friend of mine who works on them, Lockheed did this for the F-22. And the alloy they created corrodes badly. Corrosion is a big problem on those jets.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
By the time EV becomes mainstream there will be something else popping up... plasma fusion reactor powered cars, zero point energy motors, anti matter fuel cells...
I'm pulling for Mr. Fusion myself.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thats a shame. probably why i see at least 4 a week flying into the maintenance facility at the airport near my house haha

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I aint startin this debate again. My 460 im more then happy with powerwise.

I will say i have given it thought though before, jumpin to a diesel, but theres a few reasons why...

1- They are just a general pain in the ass. Dumping in antigel, plugging them in, etc etc.

2- Parts are usually pricier and im not a diesel mechanic, so alot of stuff would get farmed out.

3- I usually aim pretty low in prices, and i can get a whole lot nicer big block truck for whatever price then a diesel, even an old one.

4- Normally it sits in the driveway till i need it, i know its not ideal for any vehicle, but i feel diesels are more sensitive to this.

Dont get me wrong, if i could find a really nice OBS 7.3 with a 5speed, an 89-93 12valve ram, or even an bullnose 6.9 dually, id defiantly consider it. But theres no way im touching any diesel after 2007.

I know you love the 6.2/6.5. I almost bought a 6.5L GMC crewcab when i bought my 460. But im just....i dont know. They dont flip my trigger like the big inch gassers.

I don't love the 6.x diesels..

Tolerate is clearer... Respect it within it's design function is fair to say...

wouldn't own a dually with one.

Would rather have a 460 then a 6.5..in OEM form in a full size truck...if those were the choices in today's costs.

they are tolerable in a ranger.

A Navistar 6.5 with custom stuff is a different story.

How did you say that.....just a bunch of excuses to like a inferior product...

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The aircraft I work on, the Navy E-6, were built in the late 80's early 90's. Typical old Boeing 707 modified for different duties. The Navy uses them hard and puts them away wet. Every one we get in for maintenance has bad corrosion problems. Probably a result of them flying over the ocean on missions, and being kept near the ocean when on the ground. The planes mission is difficult and stress inducing. Add corrosion to that, and cracks are inevitable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals