• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cybertruck Reveal

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
At no point in time will ALL vehicles on the road be EV...

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I could see the government banning gasoline and rusty turning into a post apocalyptic scavenger trying to refine oil from old shoes to keep his fleet running...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I can see EV and hybrids becoming main stream at some point in the future. Unless something big happens, I can’t see the ICE going completely away.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
By the time EV becomes mainstream there will be something else popping up... plasma fusion reactor powered cars, zero point energy motors, anti matter fuel cells...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
By the time EV becomes mainstream there will be something else popping up... plasma fusion reactor powered cars, zero point energy motors, anti matter fuel cells...
Flux capacitors

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
When I see a 30 year old EV with 300,000+ miles on it driving around the rust belt then we can discuss reliability... :icon_rofl:
3540990065_large-1.jpg

Like rusty #1?

It's fine if they're not for you, but lets not spread false truths about levels of reliability without any data to back that up.
Why not? Teslas built a whole company on it?

Last i heard elon claimed a 300,000lb tow rating for whatever that turd is they unveiled.

When 1% of the total vehicle fleet is EV and the other 99% ICE its pretty safe to assume which is gonna show up more problem prone.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last i heard elon claimed a 300,000lb tow rating for whatever that turd is they unveiled.
And Ford pulled a 1 million lbs train with their EV f150, and the current Tundra towed the space shuttle when it was unveiled, blah, blah, blah. They're all perfectly staged marketing stunts just like the tug of war between the Tesla and the F150 was. People are emotional idiots about these things instead of reasoning. If we're being honest, it's the whole reason people buy $50k trucks and never load anything in the bed or tow anything.

When 1% of the total vehicle fleet is EV and the other 99% ICE its pretty safe to assume which is gonna show up more problem prone.
That's not how percentages work. I'm not looking at the raw total of mishaps, I'm looking at the rate of mishaps. Look at the NYC study I linked earlier. EVs doing the same job as ICEs in the same environment, with the same levels of maintenance had far fewer failures on average and cost far less money.

It's fine to be skeptical of EVs and question whatever you want. I think it's completely warranted to question Tesla's hype. That doesn't change the fact that EVs have fewer parts to fail and are proving to be more reliable and cheaper to operate than their ICE counterparts. If you know and understand EVs, and have no desire to own them, that's 100% ok with me. I'm just trying to sift through what's truth and what's marketing hype or internet grumbling, etc so we can stop spreading rumors or bad ideas and fully understand what these things are and are not. Everybody wins when you're a knowledgeable consumer, even if you choose not to consume.

Average new car price was nearly $37k last year. We're at a point where EVs with reasonable range are at or below the average price of a new vehicle. $30k msrp can buy you a Nissan Leaf or Hyundai Ioniq Electric with 125-150 miles of range. Subtract the $7500 federal tax credit and any state credits and you're in the $21-22k ball park. $35-40k gets you a Chevy Bolt, Kia Niro, or Hyundai Kona EV with 230ish miles of range and you can get the full tax credit for all but the Bolt, which puts the price around $30k. The new Ford Mach E with 230-ish mile range will be about $36k after the tax credit too when it's on sale late next year. And the cheapest Tesla Model 3 is the same.

Last edited:

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You realize stainless steel is a generic term and means nothing right? Did they say it was 16 guage 316 steel? 304? 410? Could be chinese stainless which is just whatever scrap metal they find laying around. :dunno:

You can't say something is stronger when you have no idea what it is. :icon_rofl:
i think they said they developed their own stainless steel alloy which they will be using in the truck and the mk1 starship. spacex and jpl arent sending Chinese 304 to the moon guy :ROFLMAO:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Im not passionate about many things. But engines are one of those things. Its why i get so fired up over this kinda stuff.

Its not that i fear EV's themselves...but what i fear is the day either IC is tottally banned or gasoline stations are no longer around.

Thats what bothers me.

Hmmm. That is a fear I can't understand. Easy to adapt..

The electric trucks that are in proving in Michigan right now will meet and beat your challenge.

So it is a foregone conclusion. This shit is happening scooter.

My diesels do-does-did that run as well....some non stop....

Why do you mess with Inferior range stock power 460,s when you can tow faster farther and more reliably anywhere with an old diesel.?.?.?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
i think they said they developed their own stainless steel alloy which they will be using in the truck and the mk1 starship. spacex and jpl arent sending Chinese 304 to the moon guy :ROFLMAO:
And I invented the potato...

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As far as maintence heavy DDs, yes its a pain. But thats why i try to keep my vehicles as close to stock as possible.

My ranger i literally pulled off a scrap pile and besides the whole injector issue i fought for a year (bad diagnoseing on my part) its been trouble free other then a few annoyances, and it sat for 12 frickin years.

My 77 also has served me well for many years.

EVs wont be trouble free. They'll still have issues, but they wont be issues you can fix with a socket set, and once it starts having issues itll go to the junkyard and thatll be that.

Plus most teslas are what? 3 maybe 4 years old at the oldest? They aint been around long enough to get a real feel for reliabilty.
Like I said in an earlier post, first tesla I ever saw, was stuck in a left turn lane with the hood up. Police cruiser behind it with the flashers going, likely because the tesla didn't have enough power on it's own to run it's flashers. It's likely, knowing tesla's poor service history, that car will be in a shop for along time. Unless it was just because the owner forgot to charge it. LMAO! Haven't seen another since, And I live in a big city, Oklahoma City.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I would love to put some excerpt between myself and my son on this topic.

The reality of it after I reflected on it...was sobering.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
They do, but for the brakes specifically they last much longer than brakes on an ICE so maintenance and repair is needed much less often.
Nearly all hybrids and EVs have some level of regenerative braking, which basically reverses the flow of electricity and uses the rotation of the wheels to charge the battery while slowing the vehicle. You can nearly drive one without touching the brake pedal at all. It's returns some of the spent electrical energy to the battery, extending it's range and lets you avoid wear and tear on your mechanical brakes at the same time. There are a few Volts and other PHEVs out there with well over 100k miles and the original brake pads.
Really! The stock front brakes on my Ranger lasted 15 years. The drums 19. It's because, even though it's an automatic, I down shift it when coming to stops. I turn the OD off as soon as I start my vehicles. don't turn it on unless I hit a highway of a speed over 55. So I'm already out of OD. Then shift down to second when the speed is low enough. Mustang is a five speed auto. So I down shift it accordingly. Use the engine for braking as much as possible. Only use the brakes at the very last. Lot of times I never even need to use them, light turns green and I'm on the way, already in a low enough gear to motor on. Been doing that since I started driving, as my Dad always did it. Even back when I had my 78 Trans Am, down shifted it when driving. Brakes last a long time if you do this. My 15 going on 16 year old Lightning still has the original brake pads. Of course, it only has 69,000 miles on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals