• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cybertruck Reveal

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I'd love to have an off-grid setup like that, but I'd use it to run my home not charge a car.

it would run 2 average homes and power 3 cars.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
While I agree about the tech, it's to a point. I've had automatic transmissions all my driving life, never had one lick of trouble with them. NEVER. Only manual I had was years ago, a 1970 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400 with a 400 Pontiac motor and a Muncie M22 Rock Crusher. It was fun, til I had to rebuild it. Only transmission I've ever had to rebuild was a manual. Never had to drop an auto from any vehicle. All three of my four wheelers are FORD and are auto. Heck, my Ranger is 22 years old and has near 166,000 on it's auto, never a lick of trouble. Of course, I've drained and changed the fluid and filter twice in 20 years. That's likely a lot more than most will ever see.

And I don't have a problem with the computer controlled engines. Never had a lick of trouble with them. Once again, the 22 year old Ranger, the 16 year old Lightning, and the 13 year old Mustang. I've learned how to deal with the computer controlled part, a scanner is a big help. Tells you what's wrong when the little idiot light comes on. Usually just a cheap, easy to replace sensor. But also, usually a little piece of black tape takes care of the stupid light just fine. LMAO. Been driving the Ranger like that for years, still gets 18 mpg. Both my Ranger and my Lightning have the EGR deleted, hence the check engine light. I'm going to be purchasing a tuner for the Lightning soon, next Spring. I'll tune out the C.E. light with that. The Ranger, the black tape will suffice. I scan it every time I drive it to make sure the only codes are for the deleted EGR and DPFE.

I recently bought the 07 Mustang. And debated whether to go auto or manual. Chose auto mainly because the car that caught my eye appearance wise, is an auto. Dark blue with flat black R Spec hood scoop and spoiler in flat black, flat black stripes. It's 13 years old and everyone is like, "it's a beauty." It is.

As for EVs. Like Dalton said in Road House, "There's no amount of money". I'll never own one, and you cannot bribe me any amount of money to even go for a ride in a POS tesla. Even if the cars were great, the idiot that runs the company is a whore. He reminds me of them dudes that drove around in the western days, in a covered wagon, selling notions to saps. And anyone that buys one of the POSs is a sap. End of discussion. I don't care how fast they are. or how exciting. I'll never even get in one and go for a ride. You can keep em.

I like my vehicles to make ICE noises. Every last one of them has a modified exhaust and intake to make more noise. A quiet vehicle? I'd rather watch grass grow. Paint dry. Or a puddle of water evaporate.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I will buck the trend.
Its a good thing I enjoy wrenching because all I can afford is old $500.00 pieces of crap. I make do with what I have and have built and raced a pretty decent low buck race truck. I've also fixed up a b2 to be a pretty decent snow wheeler as well as a plow truck. My current ranger that has been my DD for the last 3 years was bought as a parts truck for my race truck....
So.....
If I had the money I would be all over that tesla truck.
Blang before Bling....
I would take it and modify it to work for me and to hell with all the naysayers. I like learning new things, and there is a lot of learning in that things technology that I want to learn about.
Its been a dream of mine to have an ev4x4 for over ten years. In 10 more years I might be able to afford a used tesla....
Hope so!

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I just think its stupid that nothing is designed to be driven anymore.

We have trac control,stability control, speed limiters, ABS, auto trannys, park assist, adaptive cruise, auto braking, etc etc.

**** that.

If i want to kick my ass end sideways around a snowy curve then its my right. It shouldnt be taken from me because some nutless weasel is scared of a vehicle.

It pisses me off that because of the EPA, crybaby men, and soccer moms thats pickup trucks have been dilluted to the point where a 70s sedan has more truck like attributes.

It should be no problem to stroll into the dealer of your choice, order a reg cab, long box 4wd with lockouts, manual EVERYTHING (trans and transfer case included), a real viynl, head supportless bench seat, a. (preferbly carburated)V8 north of 400CID, with ground clearence, steel wheels, and leaf springs on all 4 four corners.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up

We have trac control,stability control, speed limiters, ABS, auto trannys, park assist, adaptive cruise, auto braking, etc etc.

**** that.

If i want to kick my ass end sideways around a snowy curve then its my right. It shouldnt be taken from me because some nutless weasel is scared of a vehicle.

It pisses me off that because of the EPA, crybaby men, and soccer moms thats pickup trucks have been dilluted to the point where a 70s sedan has more truck like attributes.

It should be no problem to stroll into the dealer of your choice, order a reg cab, long box 4wd with lockouts, manual EVERYTHING (trans and transfer case included), a real viynl, head supportless bench seat, a. (preferbly carburated)V8 north of 400CID, with ground clearence, steel wheels, and leaf springs on all 4 four corners.
X2.
I learned to drive and got my license in my dad's 58 Ford, no power anything.
I'm not just old school, but OLD !!!
I don't need, or want a vehicle that tells me I need to brake, need to stay in my lane, need to check my tires, need to look behind my when I'm backing, and can parallel park for me.
I don't want to plug my vehicle in. I want, and have a fuel gauge that tells me when I need fuel...I get it, and I go.
I learned to do all that over a half century ago, and can still do all of it on my own.
I grew up in an era where vehicles had NO electronics...even an AM radio was an option.
I hate driving my wife's new Subaru Outback...it beeps at me, talks to me, plays different sounds , flashes lights and notices at me. I don't want to drive a vehicle that thinks it's smarter than me.
Its more distracting cause you have to take your eyes off the road to see what the bloody car is trying to tell you.
Love my little Ranger cause it is so simple. Even tho it's a 2009, you can still "drive" it and feel the truck and the road. I find I'm driving it 90% of the time in stead of my 2013 Subaru Crosstrek, my daily driver.
Grumpaw

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
X2.
I learned to drive and got my license in my dad's 58 Ford, no power anything.
I'm not just old school, but OLD !!!
I don't need, or want a vehicle that tells me I need to brake, need to stay in my lane, need to check my tires, need to look behind my when I'm backing, and can parallel park for me.
I don't want to plug my vehicle in. I want, and have a fuel gauge that tells me when I need fuel...I get it, and I go.
I learned to do all that over a half century ago, and can still do all of it on my own.
I grew up in an era where vehicles had NO electronics...even an AM radio was an option.
I hate driving my wife's new Subaru Outback...it beeps at me, talks to me, plays different sounds , flashes lights and notices at me. I don't want to drive a vehicle that thinks it's smarter than me.
Its more distracting cause you have to take your eyes off the road to see what the bloody car is trying to tell you.
Love my little Ranger cause it is so simple. Even tho it's a 2009, you can still "drive" it and feel the truck and the road. I find I'm driving it 90% of the time in stead of my 2013 Subaru Crosstrek, my daily driver.
Grumpaw
My wifes 2010 escape is like that. I cant even drive it across a parking lot from one store to the next without it bitching at me for not putting my belt on.

It has a light for EVERYTHING, at one point i was messing around and accidently programmed the "mykey" nanny to allow only 1/2 radio volume and 65 mph.

Traction control is useless. I cant count the number of times ive had to shut it off when i was "stuck" so i can get it out. I hammer it, seesaw the wheels and it comes out.

Or when we took a lil trip with it last summer, the motor on the throttlebody got gummed up and threw a code. It had no power (well, less then normal), shifted like shit and had no cruise. Seriously...wtf is wrong with a cable throttle?

Also, one morning it had a dead battery and i couldnt even push it out the driveway to get my truck out to jump the thing cause it wouldnt come out of park.

You really wanna give it fits? Try doing a reverse fishtail. It confuses it to the point it just shuts down.

I climb in any of my trucks, theres nothing more then a lil light to tell you to buckle up, no ABS, no traction control, a simple radio and easy HVAC controls.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I'm OK with a few features that have been well proven - I like cruise control and abs, though I can live without the latter. My concern with all of this automatic stuff in all aspects of life is that people become dependent on it. It's learned helplessness. I've never seen more people driving around without headlights on than since automatic headlights became common.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size

**** that.

This makes me want to get that dumb looking cybertruck and do burnouts around you while you adjust the carb for the millionth time

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
This makes me want to get that dumb looking cybertruck and do burnouts around you while you adjust the carb for the millionth time
Fine.

But i wont tow you to a charger.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The one thing that worries me most about new technology is that it is mostly untested and the consumers are the lab rats. Tesla doesn't know what kind of issues come up on a new truck after 10 years or 100k because it hasn't happened at the test facilities. Consumers end up buying something unproven and Tesla sits back waiting for stuff to go wrong because lets face it, a brand new design that is a complete one-off is going to have issues. Watching that video of the car stuck at 120 due to an electrical failure just further supports my theory.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The one thing that worries me most about new technology is that it is mostly untested and the consumers are the lab rats. Tesla doesn't know what kind of issues come up on a new truck after 10 years or 100k because it hasn't happened at the test facilities. Consumers end up buying something unproven and Tesla sits back waiting for stuff to go wrong because lets face it, a brand new design that is a complete one-off is going to have issues. Watching that video of the car stuck at 120 due to an electrical failure just further supports my theory.
Yeah...and then when something does fail the parts on backorder for 4 years.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
How many original priuses do you see running around anymore? None cause they cost to much to fix now...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
How many original priuses do you see running around anymore? None cause they cost to much to fix now...
Atleast a prius has a real engine for backup. I dont know if they'll run though with failed electric shit.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Atleast a prius has a real engine for backup. I dont know if they'll run though with failed electric shit.
I don't think they will, and the gas engine was only 70hp and designed just to take over once the car was up to speed. It wasn't really a backup, it was a "system" so one needs the other for the car to function.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals