• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cybertruck Reveal

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
I do, usually 3-4 times a week.

Diesel or gasoline over electric on a locomotive setup would be awesome.

However:

I will not even be a passenger in a vehicle with WiFi capabilities or with ANY form of data streaming, full stop. So anything manufactured after 2015 is probably out, along with all full electrics.

These guys "hacked" the jeep by using a default password for the wifi. I wouldn't be mad at someone "breaking" into my house if I left the key in the door.

However, I do understand why this scares people. I work in IT and know all of this stuff very well. The cars and electronics need to be designed from ground up with security in mind. Most automakers are just adding the features for cool ness and could care less if it is safe or secure.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Holy crap!

My 1996 Ranger suddenly looks better.

I could see a hacker screwing with Ford owners through the Ford Pass.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Most of these hacks were done while the hacker was physically connected to the CANBUS. As in sitting in backseat with their laptop plugged into the vehicle. Of course you can mess with a vehicle in this scenario.

Good design has the CANBUS air gapped from the rest of the electronics like wifi.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Most of these hacks were done while the hacker was physically connected to the CANBUS. As in sitting in backseat with their laptop plugged into the vehicle. Of course you can mess with a vehicle in this scenario.

Good design has the CANBUS air gapped from the rest of the electronics like wifi.
This is why ill be hanging onto my carburated and EEC IV stuff for a very long time.

Lets see a hacked stall out my 77.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is why ill be hanging onto my carburated and EEC IV stuff for a very long time.

Probably easier to sneak a remote control switch Into the coil wiring on your probably typically unlocked ‘77 than to get into the system of a newer vehicle.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yeah

This argument can be tough. With physical access it's easy to damage/destroy or whatever. So no they cant hack your car with a computer maybe but put down water in gas tank or potato in tail pipe or cut wires from under the car.

My hope is there's less super nerds that can hack a Tesla.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Probably easier to sneak a remote control switch Into the coil wiring on your probably typically unlocked ‘77 than to get into the system of a newer vehicle.
Actually dont matter if its locked or not it aint got an inside hood latch.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Current Tesla Model 3 have over 300 mile range and they weigh around 1000 lbs less than the new rangers. I bet you could easily fit more batteries in a truck body vs a car body and get a mid or full size truck with over 400 mile range

how many people really drive more than 400 miles a day?
I live 250km from the nearest big city (without leaving the province). There are closer cities, 150km away, but they're what you would consider a town. One is 50,000 people, the others are 10-20 thousand. With 500km range, I can't GET to the big city, drive around the city for the day, and drive home. I can BARELY get to the small cities.

Look: The big city, my car dies on the highway on the way home. The small ones, my car dies in the driveway.

Every tree hugger brags about the range of an electric vehicle, as if it's some great thing. You forget two things: 1) that range is under IDEAL conditions. In Saskatchewan, in the winter, the range wouldn't be anywhere NEAR that. 2) There are a LOT of people who live beyond that range from the nearest city.

I get really annoyed with tree huggers telling me what I need. Just stop.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I live 250km from the nearest big city (without leaving the province). There are closer cities, 150km away, but they're what you would consider a town. One is 50,000 people, the others are 10-20 thousand. With 500km range, I can't GET to the big city, drive around the city for the day, and drive home. I can BARELY get to the small cities.

Look: The big city, my car dies on the highway on the way home. The small ones, my car dies in the driveway.

Every tree hugger brags about the range of an electric vehicle, as if it's some great thing. You forget two things: 1) that range is under IDEAL conditions. In Saskatchewan, in the winter, the range wouldn't be anywhere NEAR that. 2) There are a LOT of people who live beyond that range from the nearest city.

I get really annoyed with tree huggers telling me what I need. Just stop.
Amen!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Until an electric vehicle has the same range and "refuel" convenience as a internal combustion driven vehicle, or better. I have no interest in one. Plus, most electric generation is just as bad or worse than what an internal combustion engine is. So, it's a zero sum result at best and more harmful at worst. And that doesn't even go into other parts of the vehicle and their environmental impacts from cradle to grave. They will still need lubrication, tires, so forth and so on.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
certainly not a tree hugger I just enjoy saving 1000's with a tesla and not buying gas, so what it has some cool features too and its insanely fast. The tesla gets driven 150 miles per day every day and still has 125 miles range left. theres 2 superchargers in between and only about 40 miles apart so more than easy to make it.

I think i've been pretty agreeable that electric isn't for every situation. as of right now the cold is a huge problem for batteries. If I lived as north as Canada I wouldn't prob buy one either at this time.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Until an electric vehicle has the same range and "refuel" convenience as a internal combustion driven vehicle, or better. I have no interest in one. Plus, most electric generation is just as bad or worse than what an internal combustion engine is. So, it's a zero sum result at best and more harmful at worst. And that doesn't even go into other parts of the vehicle and their environmental impacts from cradle to grave. They will still need lubrication, tires, so forth and so on.
depends on what you mean convenience. it takes 1 sec to plug in car and its always full and I can even manage the charge level from my phone. You don't have to stand in line, pay a cashier or stand at pump and answer 10 questions just to get gas.

30,000 miles in 7 months and I had to add washer fluid. so it'd cost me $1.25 in maintenance

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
What has the difference to your electric bill been? Better than what you would be paying in fuel?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
depends on what you mean convenience. it takes 1 sec to plug in car and its always full and I can even manage the charge level from my phone. You don't have to stand in line, pay a cashier or stand at pump and answer 10 questions just to get gas.

30,000 miles in 7 months and I had to add washer fluid. so it'd cost me $1.25 in maintenance
But there are gas stations everywhere. You have to plan your trip around where a charger is available. If yours is setup to be able to charge off a 110 outlet, how long is the wait before you can go again if you are taking a longer trip. Or do you just save it for your local driving and commute to and from work? I drive same pretty far distances fairly often that limitations like that could be a problem.

I'm asking these questions out of curiosity and to someone who has first hand experience. This isn't a bash session or meant to become one.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
What has the difference to your electric bill been? Better than what you would be paying in fuel?
added about $100 to $150 a month and i'm even on tiered rates...yet, that will help immensely
so 7 months x 150/month = $1050

Gas lets say at 30mpg for average car
30,000 miles / 30mpg = 1000 gallons

it's 2.37/gal near me so woulda have cost $2370 in gas

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals