• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CV Half Shaft - 4" Lift - 2009 Ranger

tgraoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Greetings all,

I am working on a 2009 Ford Ranger I bought used with a 4" Superlift lift kit. The inboard side of the front left CV half shaft broke open last night bringing my mother to Thanksgiving dinner at my uncle's place.

I picked up a replacement Precision - CV Axle Shaft ( http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PRE4/FD8168/01424.oap?year=2009&make=Ford&model=Ranger&vi=1443919&ck=Search_01424_1443919_1525&pt=01424&ppt=C0362 ) and had a local mechanic install it as I was too far from home and tools. The mechanic is concerned that the replacement CV Half shaft is not long (like 2") enough due to the lift and that when I need 4wd again that the CV Shaft will break again.

I am home, have the truck up and ready for a "new" replacement, but do not know what/if there is a better/correct length CV half shaft. I got a hold of the original owner who lifted the truck and his recollection is that the CV half shaft was original stock. 4WD is pretty important where I live due to the snow. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
What made him come to the conclusion it is to short?

tgraoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The mechanic said that the replacement shaft is not fully seated in the inboard side to differential.

I am looking at picking up another cv half shaft from an expedition or other ford vehicle that is a little longer. Just not sure if that would fit.

tgraoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Took the truck for a quick test drive (nothing strenuous, down the driveway and to a turn around 1/5 mile away) with the aforementioned new CV shaft and it broke at the inboard rubber drum without being placed in 4WD.

Any one know if a longer CV shaft from a different ford model would fit?

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
So I assume the right axle shaft is fully seated?

tgraoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got it resolved over the weekend once I was back in town from a week away for work. Had time to take out #2 busted CV shaft on L, got R side out and measured. Both were stock length. Measured gaps, L side was at full extension and then some, right side was in full compression.
Dropped differential and there was nothing wrong with it. Noticed that the mounts looked beat up and bent which had caused the whole differential to migrate 2 inches to the Right.

Likely hit the final tipping point due to the latest large snow storm that I had to go 4x4 to get through the drifts in the driveway before being able to snowblow after work. Remounted differential with some fabrication help from a friend and truck appears to be operating correctly now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals