• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cut and Turn step by step

Mackhedq

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
Heres how I cut and turned my beams kinda step by step. My truck had a 6" lift with drop brackets and my own homemade single swing set steering rack. I live in Minnesota so there isnt much go fast or wheeling in general... but taking in the limitation of the 35 beams. The center ujoint binds and the shorter passenger side beam need a lot of adjustment. Here is my note sheet and the difference between driver and passenger side beam. My tape is the length of passenger side beam from pivot to top of the ball joint. On my notes sheet I took down ride hieght from a solid point on the frame to the axles. This is just happened to be 21"
1021211924.jpg
1024211851.jpg

Next up I took everything apart. Took the drop brackets off and cut them down. I measured 3" up from the 6" drop bracket and drilled a new hole. Which is a 9/16 size drill bit. I also found the drivers drop bracket cracked again too.... Welded it back on and then added more triangles because you know they make everything better! I have to clearange the inside of the passenger drop bracket.
1018211915_HDR.jpg

After that everything got bolted back up normally besides the springs. I set the axles at the 21" measurement and took camber axles on the knuckles
with a 0 degree camber bushing in. The passenger side is 6 degrees out of alignment and the passenger is over 11 degrees! This will have to made up with cutting the lower ball joint out. In my opinion its its the way when not extending the beams.

1012211739_HDR.jpg
1019212005_HDR.jpg

Heres cutting the beams now. The passenger beam when on my work bench 19.75 degrees before cutting. I need to add 6.25 degrees which brings me to 13.25 degrees. Hopefully this number will get me 0 degrees of camber at ride height.
On the passenger side its a bit more drastic. I need to make up around 11 degrees. On my bench its at 25.25 degrees. brought the lower ball joint out 11.3 degrees to 13.75.
You can see in these photos of the difference pulling the lower balljoints out. Next up I bolted everything up to check measurements and camber at ride height.
1014211859.jpg
1023211012_HDR.jpg

Here is everything tacked up at ride height. unfortunitly I somehow lost the driver side beam photo but take my work it did say zero. I pulled everything apart and burned it all in on my work bench. Took everything and washed it up for paint then started bolting it all back together finally.
1021212015_HDR.jpg

Heres it all bolted together. You can see the the angle of the beams but then the tires are level. I had to grind out some material inside the inner u joint to prevent any binding at full droop and tuck. Also my swing set steering is about as close to in phase unless i redo it again..
1024211703.jpg

passenger side beam

1024211703a.jpg

drivers side beam
1024211703b.jpg

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals