• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Customized add-on/builds for the interior forum?

Richard869

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was wondering if there is a forum anywhere that allows people to post their custom builds. For instance, I was wondering if anyone has ever removed OEM parts and replaced them with their own inventions to tailor it to suit their needs or wants more effectively. An example is that I removed the two rear foldable seats in my 2011 Ford ranger only because I will never have anyone sitting in them and because I want to build my own gun rack set-up that I can bolt in where the seats originally were at. I do a lot of coyote/fox hunting and since I removed the rear seats it's so much easier to access my gear without all the clutter and shuffling around while attempting to be as quiet as possible when exiting my truck to hunt properties, hence why I want to build some design of a Gun rack that would have multiple uses maybe like extra storage, etc. So, I was wondering if anyone had any good set-ups of their own or somewhere that people can share their ideas with others. Possibly a new forum category?

2011_ford_ranger-pic-driverside rear seat.jpeg

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
Not exactly a gun rack but I removed the seats and built a storage box. It will hide a long gun perfectly and the non slip top prevents things from sliding around.

P1010125.JPG
P1010124.JPG

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would want to lean that idea towards being a gun SAFE. If you have several in there at once it could be a major hit for them to walk away while you're hunting the deep woods

Richard869

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I will have my gun with me if I'm hunting and the only time I have my gun in my truck is only when I plan on using it for hunting and if I have a buddy thats hunting with me they also would have their gun with them. so i dont really need a safe in a sense but more so a set up that could keep my gun and/or my buddys gun up and out of the way of our other gear. so our equipment isnt bashing off our scopes from going down rough backroads. Possibly something that would allow me to organize my call and remote and tri-pod while it holds my gun. I may be asking for a lot but i know it can be done, just trying to find something I can base my idea off of that will be sturdy enough

Last edited:

Richard869

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I will have my gun with me if I'm hunting and the only time I have my gun in my truck is only when I plan on using it for hunting and if I have a buddy thats hunting with me they also would have their gun with them. so i dont really need a safe in a sense but more so a set up that could keep my gun and/or my buddys gun up and out of the way of our other gear. so our equipment isnt bashing off our scopes from going down rough backroads. Possibly something that would allow me to organize my call and remote and tri-pod while it holds my gun. I may be asking for a lot but i know it can be done, just trying to find something I can base my idea off of that will be sturdy enough
Your title implied it was for ideas for everybody, just sayin

Richard869

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
yes, I was suggesting a forum for anything in general related to building your own ideas but i took your reply as specifically directed towards what I was looking to do for myself.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
They sell a bunch of scabbards for atv's and side x sides. If I had a 4-door cab I would be looking at one of those. I may do something like that in the rear of the Bronco II at some point. I know in Michigan... during transport the firearm has to be cased. The scabbard would serve that purpose and keep it from banging around. Mounting one or two in the cab would be fairly easy I think.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
@Richard869 as far as a separate forum for custom stuff... it would typically be posted in the forum that the topic would apply best... or you would find it in an individuals build thread for their truck. We do have a forum for camping /hunting/weapons that you gun rack would best fit. In fact... I'm moving this post there as a gun rack/storage solution would "best fit" in that forum.

I think @sgtsandman has a roof mounted gun storage and @Rowdy Fitzgerald might have something he uses.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
To answer your original question, we don't seem to have a forum quite like what you are suggesting.

Regarding gun racks and storage, you will likely find ideas in the hunting/camping forum area.

Otherwise, what many people do is start a "build thread" for their individual vehicle and projects. Then, post progress reports, questions, etc. In their build thread. Others following along will chime in with ideas, helpful hints, pictures, etc. and then you end up with everything pertinent to your build all in your own thread. That makes it easier to go back and review later.

For an example, check out my build thread. The link is in my signature. If you don't see it, turn your phone sideways and you'll be able to view my signature and more info about me in the side bar.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
@Richard869 as far as a separate forum for custom stuff... it would typically be posted in the forum that the topic would apply best... or you would find it in an individuals build thread for their truck. We do have a forum for camping /hunting/weapons that you gun rack would best fit. In fact... I'm moving this post there as a gun rack/storage solution would "best fit" in that forum.

I think @sgtsandman has a roof mounted gun storage and @Rowdy Fitzgerald might have something he uses.
I haven’t gotten around to build a gun rack yet. My plan is to build an over head gun rack in the back seat, that will allow me to put locks on the guns that lock them to the rack. It will extend up up the center, to the front of the cab to mount radios on.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have a Big Sky rack bolted to the interior reinforcement structure in the roof. I have some other storage plans/ideas involving removing the next to useless jump seats but haven't gotten there yet. The rack on the roof is fine for at camp and such but a number of states frown on long guns being transported uncased and within easy reach. So, when I get the box built behind the seats, on road transport of long guns will be part of the plan. Since I four doors, on my Supercab, it should be pretty easy to do.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My apology Richard, I rather misunderstood that, and AD/HD strikes again. Grant me a few more posts and I'll have them on a carousel back there somewhere

Last edited:

Richard869

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My apology Richard, I rather misunderstood that, and AD/HD strikes again. Grant me a few more posts and I'll have them on a carousel back there somewhere
It's all good! I didn't mean to cause any confusion myself!

Richard869

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
To answer your original question, we don't seem to have a forum quite like what you are suggesting.

Regarding gun racks and storage, you will likely find ideas in the hunting/camping forum area.

Otherwise, what many people do is start a "build thread" for their individual vehicle and projects. Then, post progress reports, questions, etc. In their build thread. Others following along will chime in with ideas, helpful hints, pictures, etc. and then you end up with everything pertinent to your build all in your own thread. That makes it easier to go back and review later.

For an example, check out my build thread. The link is in my signature. If you don't see it, turn your phone sideways and you'll be able to view my signature and more info about me in the side bar.
Thank you!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals