• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Custom speaker box for my 83 single cab

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Finally got my speaker box done and my email issues fixed so I thought it was time to post some pics. The only thing left to do is tighten some of the connectors and put some herculiner on it! I got the top on and I'll take some pics of it today while I'm finishing it up and post them.:icon_thumby:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

JD22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Very cool! Good carpentry skills!

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree, very nice. So does that go behind your seat?

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What size of sub is that in the center? I don't know much about audio systems, but is it just a standard size or is it one of the really thin ones?

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
finished product

It's a 10" sub woofer and the two outside ones are 6x9's. Here is the finished product minus the herculiner I'm going to put on it later. I wired it up last night and it sounds good, I have to lean the seats up a little cause the 6x9 screens stick out so far. But whatever it works.:icon_thumby:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And, yes that is a green beer on St Patty's Day:icon_cheers:

Boghog1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Can you take some professional criticism?

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oh Bduke it's a standard 10" x 6" sub woofer. It barely fit in the box. I think there was about 3/4 inch clearance.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Boghog, sure. what's up?

Boghog1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Boxes sound better when they are dense, e.g. MDF in 3/4 would make a better sounding box but since you already have a box made here are some things you can do to make it sound better, 1st seal the inside of the box, wood is porous you can use rubberized undercoating or Fiberglas resin.
Do you know what the enclosure size is for the woofer? in looking at lightning audios website it looks like it should have at least .75cf if you are not sure how to figure out the cf send me the measurements height width and depth since it is an angled box I would expect 2 depth measurements.
if it is less than .75cf you can trick the woofer by putting batting in the box either Fiberglas like is used in your house or poly fill used in pillows.
Finally make sure everything is sealed I use foam weatherstrip gasket material where the driver and enclosure meet. silicone where there are any possible leaks e.g. where wires come in. It looks like you already sealed the baffles. so that is good

oh and what the hell is that drink that is green?

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I hate mdf! I know your supposed to use it, and I have used it before on my boxes, but I had these pine shelves so I decided to use what I had since I am on a budget. I did seal the baffles and all the seams inside and out with silicon. I put poly around the sub that came from the box I got it out of. It's fully surrounded. As far as the dimensions. I made the box with the space I had to go behind the seats. And I forgot how far those 6x9 screens stick out so I have to lean my seat up a little. The only other option I would have had , would be to stretch the box out and take up all the space behind both my seats and since I don't have a truck box yet so I still need storage behind my seats. I know it's not perfect, but is good enough for me right now. I am just wondering if I need to port that sub. Did you see anything on that sub site about it? I know some subs you don't port, but I always thought they sounded better ported. The whole box is 30" long 3 1/2" wide at top, 9"wide at bottom, and 12" tall. Oh and that's green beer for St Patty's Day!

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all your comments!:icon_thumby:

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here's the installed product.:headbang:
[/IMG]

:icon_thumby:

Boghog1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How wide is the box where the woofer is? it looks to be around 12-14" if your box is 12" you will be at .52cf if it is 14" you are at .60cf so insulation will make the box seem larger to the driver

As far as porting the website does not give any information, ports are tough to get right but done properly they pound.

Boghog1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh and you did a good job with the construction overall. I have seen some horrible boxes in the past (think 1/2" plywood)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals