• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Custom Dash

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just looking for ideas on making a new dash, and if anyone has implemented a new "gauge cluster" into the stock Gen-1 fake wood plastic.

I bought 6 autolight phantom gauges (speedo, tach, fuel, volts, water temp, and oil pressure) for my V8 swap. Buckets are getting installed, new carpet, and the dash is getting painted black (minus the wood). My intentions are to keep it stock looking. Anyone done anything like this before? Just looking for some ideas, I have a few, but they haven't been very practical/feasible.

Pete

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I think you'll have to abandon the stock cluster cover to get this to work. I've seen some folks make brushed aluminum or steel replacements for Chevy trucks like mine, with appropriate holes drilled for the gauges. I'd think you can do something similar on your RBV. You'll need to carefully cut off the idiot light lenses and glue them onto your new cover.

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Maurice is saving to put this into the stock '86 Bronco II cluster since the stock gauges are really close to 5" in diameter. That would allow for keeping the turn signals and all the other lights.
That is a very good solution. I didn't really research too many options, seen a good deal on my Autometers, and went for it, or else that would definitely make things simpler.

I think I have the plan for the new dash all sorted out. Ultimately I am forming a piece of metal as the shape of the original dash panel, yet retaining wood grain (and I have some chrome pin striping I could use, too).

Last night, I started ripping out the old stuff, I thought I had some materials to get started on the new dash, but when I measured it wasn't long enough. So I'll have to get something local or ordered..

I have a small crack and a couple screw holes in the dash pad, anyone ever use a cover or know where I can just get a new (or decent) dash pad?

I can't see behind the speedo to save my life, anyone know the process for disconnecting the cable? Felt around, felt some plastic, didn't want to give too much persuasion and break something.

Thanks,
Pete

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yea those are what I want to put in my Bronco II. I think the stock cluster can be modified to use the stock cluster surround and the stock cluster back. The stock tach and speedo gauges are 5", so the stock back can be modified to house these and still leave the stock turn signals.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Slowly, but surely...

"Sneak peek" at my 5.0L:

:D

Pete

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
$500 for a dash? No thanks...

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals