• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cruise shuts off when I use a blinker

NeverStock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I really don't know what to look for on this one. Every now and then my truck's cruise will shut off if I use my blinker. If I shut the truck off it will some times quit and work normally. It's a 96 ranger stx with the 4.0. I thought maybe there was a short in the steering column but there are no buttons on the steering wheel that would cancel the cruise because its not actually off I can just hit resume and it will come back. So I would assume its being turned off by the clutch or brake sensors. Do any of those wires run close to each other. also occasionally when I start my truck the brake light will be on and my blinkers won't work while the headlights are on, but if I restart the truck the light goes off and it all works fine.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Not sure if this is your issue, but my 94F250 will do that if one of the brake or turn signal lights are out. The tail lights still worked, but the brighter filament was burnt out. I saw an explanation of it online somewhere and can't recall exactly how it works, but the cruise is sensitive to that somehow.

NeverStock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not sure if this is your issue, but my 94F250 will do that if one of the brake or turn signal lights are out. The tail lights still worked, but the brighter filament was burnt out. I saw an explanation of it online somewhere and can't recall exactly how i
I do have LED tailight bulbs that would draw a lot less current; that might have an affect then.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Could be, I think there's a resistor or something you can get to offset the effects of the low current draw.

Sloryd66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" Wulf
Tire Size
265/65/17
My credo
If I learned from my mistakes, I'd be a genius !!
Lane departure mitigation....I'm sorry, I know that's not helpful but couldn't resist:icon_twisted:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
My '86 used to do this actually. Really curious to see the outcome!

NeverStock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Could be, I think there's a resistor or something you can get to offset the effects of the low current draw.
Yah its only the bulbs so I might just get a set of standard bulds and see if it fixes it

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest that you don't need a mechanic. You need a priest (or an exorcist).

NeverStock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest that you don't need a mechanic. You need a priest (or an exorcist).
Got a catholic friend might give him a call🤔

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check your Trailer light wiring

1996 uses separate turn signal bulbs, so there should be no connection between turn and brake, like in the 2000 and up Rangers

If...........there was a short between turn and brake wires at the rear then the turn 12v would go into the brake wire and to the Cruise module, which doesn't turn it off but will "un-set" it, like hitting the brakes do, so you need to "resume"

NeverStock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

1996 uses separate turn signal bulbs, so there should be no connection between turn and brake, like in the 2000 and up Rangers

If...........there was a short between turn and brake wires at the rear then the turn 12v would go into the brake wire and to the Cruise module, which doesn't turn it off but will "un-set" it, like hitting the brakes do, so you need to "resume"
Oh I think I left a 6 to 4 wire adapter in the plug, I bet it has a short in it; will test this tomorrow.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Its probably supposed to do that all the time, its just broken and does it sometimes. There's probably a hack or bypass for that, kinda like the seat belt dinger.

NeverStock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Its probably supposed to do that all the time, its just broken and does it sometimes. There's probably a hack or bypass for that, kinda like the seat belt dinger.
That is not a thing that it would ever do I have two other rangers both 94s that don't as well as another 96 that is exactly the same and none of them do that and if you've ever driven on the interstate you know that would not be a feature

NeverStock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

It was not the adapter will probably try to inspect the wires sometime in the daylight.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals