• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cruise light on, doesnt work/no backup lights or parking

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2001 Ranger XLT RWD 2.5L engine with manual 5 speed transmission. 220k miles. All dash lights are normal except what I'm about to describe:

1. Cruise control light on dash will turn on when I turn it on but it won't hold the speed anymore.

2. Parking brake light on dash only illuminates about 20 percent of the time when the parking brake is engaged.

3. Reverse lights only work 75 percent of the time. I had something replaced that screws into the transmission but that didnt help.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Have you inspected the cable from the cruise control servo to the throttle body?

Does the parking brake physically work properly?

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
No to the 1st question. What is the location? yes to the 2nd.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Assuming it's like my 99, the servo is on the passenger side just forward of the HVAC fan and evaporator housing. There will be a throttle cable going from there to join the main throttle cable at the throttle body.

RangerJoey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Teen Wolf for President!
I thought with these guys, the cruise control not working is a safety feature linked to the brake light. I've heard a good amount of stories with older cars that had failing cruise control and it just turned out to be that 3rd brake light being out, (CC is designed to disengage when the brake is touched and with the bulb out, there's nothing telling CC everything's ok). Can you verify that cabin brake light is fully functional? Parking brake has got me but I'm wondering if this business with the CC is all in the same ballpark.
Also, you didn't have a jump recently by chance? I noticed my tach plays funny/doesn't react every now and then if I did a jump from one of those little battery packs. A disconnect and full drain on the capacitors seems to fix that right up.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I don't believe you'll find one fault that fixes all three issues... those are separate systems and they aren't dependent on one another to work properly.

Items 2 and 3 are intermittent... a lot of times you will find a poor connection causing those faults.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals