• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cruise Control Switch Replacement

mccoady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure if this is where I should post this but here goes. One of the cruise control switches (left) is hanging off my steering wheel and while I’m not very mechanically inclined I’m thinking I should be able to install a new one.

So I bought a set off of Amazon and read if your existing ribbon wire is ok then just use the new switches for a simple plug & play. I’ve watched a lot of videos to see how you install these and it doesn’t look hard to do.

My question is there a trick removing the existing factory plug from the switch? On most videos guys were just using needle nose pliers and forcefully removing the plug but one guy said it had clips on the sides and you needed to squeeze and remove at the same time. Don’t want to mess up the plug and have to install the new ribbon wires.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Are you talking about the plugs on the ends of the ribbon wire?

mccoady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
There should be small tabs at the base of the plug on either side. This image is from a cruise button on Amazon. not sure which one you chose, but the ones in your steering wheel should be similar.
cruise button .png

mccoady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok thanks that helps in all the videos I watched I only saw one person mention tabs everyone else appeared to be just grabbing the plug with their needle nose and pulling it out.

mccoady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So I got my switches https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071L1B4WD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and feel like I just wasted $27. For the life of me I cannot get the plug out of the switch (only tried one). I've tried squeezing the tabs and tried prying apart the tabs and the plug feels wedged in there. I've been using pliers and have basically chewed up the plug trying and it's only moved a little but it's not coming out. The ribbon wires came out immediately and I thought I was on the plug but apparently not.

Surely they aren't made to be that hard to remove... are there quality differences between these Chinese knockoffs or are they all about the same? You can tell the one I got is very cheaply made but would I benefit by spending more on some other switches and maybe the plugs would be easier to remove? Or am I just helpless? Lol!

I messaged the seller before I got them asking if there was a specific way to remove the plug from their switch but he ignored my question. Instead he sent me instructions how to install the switches using the new ribbon cable which is not what I was asking.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals