• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cruise control only works momentarily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

I have a 97' 4.0 4x4 5 speed xlt Ranger.

The cruise control on my truck only works momentarily. I press the set/acc button and the dash light "cruise set" flashes but turns off instantly. I have run continuity tests on most all of my sensors and checked the resistance of my steering wheel buttons. I don't understand why the light shuts off immediately. It's as if the system allows it to engage but a sensor quickly shuts it off. I don't know if the motor is actually pulling on the throttle body cable, but I am looking to test that today.

Any thoughts?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

1997 Cruise wiring below

First question is does your speedometer work, if not then that's the problem

The Vacuum actuator module, with the cable, in the engine bay is also the cruise control "amplifier"(electronic part)
It is powering on because light comes on

There are only 2 wires that come from the steering wheels buttons, there is no connection between the wires unless a button is pressed, so if a button is "stuck" a connection would exist and cruise would shut off

Key off, test the two wires at the unplugged amplifier's 10 pin connector, while someone pushes the buttons see if OHMs change as shown

Attachments

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
RonD,

Thank you for the diagram.

Yes the speedometer works.

So because my dashboard light is flashing momentarily, you're saying that the cruise control "amplifier" can't be the issue?

I tested the ohms at pins 5 and 6 of the unplugged amplifiers 10 pin connector while someone pressed the buttons:

OFF should be 0 ohms, and it works
ON should be 1000 ohms, but it doesn't work
RESUME should be 2200 ohms, but it doesn't work
SET/ACCEL should be 680 ohms, but it doesn't work
COAST should be 120 ohms, and it works

I soldered resistors together to give me the values I need for the three buttons that don't work. Then I plugged them in, in the correct order, to simulate ON, and then SET, and then RESUME. The same thing happens: only after pressing ON, all three buttons cause the dash light to flash momentarily.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It certainly could be the amplifier, most electronics have a start up self test, so if that failed then it would shut off
I was just saying it wasn't blown fuse or bad ground, amplifier is powering up

But if it wasn't getting correct signal from buttons, brake/clutch or pressure switch it would also shut off

Generally speaking the mechanical parts that are used the most are what wears out, electronic parts do fail, they are just usually the least likely to fail

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals