• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cruise control not working

randypmartin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all. So my Bronco II has cruise control buttons on the steering wheel but it does not function. Looked up the cruise fuse and in it's spot in the fuse box there is no fuse there but also no metal receptacle to actually push one into. Just the open plastic holes. Curious if this means that my truck just got a standard steering wheel with the cruise control buttons even though it doesn't have any of the actual cruise control components? Would love to hear your thoughts thanks.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On trucks this old it could be that steering wheel pad was replaced with cruise version or it could be that fuse box was replaced.
Do you have the cruise control can under the hood? I'm going off memory here so forgive if I'm wrong.
It's vacuum driven and connected to the throttle via cable.
It's that round canister behind the windshield washer reservoir.

randypmartin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
On trucks this old it could be that steering wheel pad was replaced with cruise version or it could be that fuse box was replaced.
Do you have the cruise control can under the hood? I'm going off memory here so forgive if I'm wrong.
It's vacuum driven and connected to the throttle via cable.
It's that round canister behind the windshield washer reservoir.
View attachment 45377
Jerry, thank you for the reply! I do have that same cruise control can under my hood and everything seems connected appropriately. Any ideas from here? And for the record, which fuse number do you have for the cruise control?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Fuse #11, a blue 15A fuse, supplies power to the cruise control.

Other things to check:

That the vacuum dump valve on the brake pedal bracket is adjusted to close with brake off.
That the brake light switch is functioning. In addition to brake light power turning the cruise off, to operate it must also detect ground through the bulbs when the brake is off. LED bulbs can screw with this ground signal.
That the clockspring contacts behind the steering wheel aren't broken, corroded or dirty (you have to pull the wheel).
There is a speed signal generator plugged into the transmission at the end of the speedometer cable; make sure that it's there and that the wiring connector is plugged in.
Follow the cable from cruise servo to the throttle linkage and make sure that the servo cable is connected to the throttle.
Check that the vacuum supply hose to the cruise servo is connected, and is supplying good vacuum to the servo. Also make sure the servo wiring connectors are plugged in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals