• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cruise control not working, can’t figure out what is wrong

mdiiorio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello,
Sorry if this is lengthy but I want to share all the events to not waste anyone’s time on responses. I am by no means a mechanic and am actually pretty new to working on cars, so if I say anything seemingly dumb I’m sorry...

I have a 2004 Ranger FX4 manual trans. So my cruise control quit working and I went to have it diagnosed. Mechanic said the module/servo was bad and quoted me 700 bucks, needless to say I passed on it. I then ordered a used servo for 65 on eBay and put it in, still nothing. Fuse looks ok, and I would imagine that was the first thing the mechanic checked when diagnosing. When I did the diagnostic sequence I got 2 flashes. Tried a new brake light switch, still not the problem. Didn’t want to mess around with clutch switch if I’m not sure that’s the problem, and it seems to be working fine. Just to make sure that the servo I ordered worked I met up with my friend who has a 2004 FX4 with cruise control that works and swapped them. His servo did not work in my car and mine worked in his, so the servo I bought is good, there is obviously another problem. Now that I have a good servo in it, what else could be the problem, and could that problem have to do with my first servo going bad?

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome. Do you have stock tail light bulbs? I don't know about the newer trucks, but changing out incandescent (old school) brake light bulbs for LED bulbs can kill the cruise control in older trucks. The cruise control needs to "see" ground through the unlit bulb filaments in order to operate. I'm assuming that your 2 flash code led you to changing the brake light switch?

mdiiorio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Welcome. Do you have stock tail light bulbs? I don't know about the newer trucks, but changing out incandescent (old school) brake light bulbs for LED bulbs can kill the cruise control in older trucks. The cruise control needs to "see" ground through the unlit bulb filaments in order to operate. I'm assuming that your 2 flash code led you to changing the brake light switch?

Yes I have stock brake light bulbs. I did change them a while back because one was out but they were just standard bulbs and I remember my cruise still worked after that I changed them. And yes the two flashes got me to change the brake light switch but that didn’t fix it. I definitely don’t want to keep buying and returning parts because that can get very time consuming and pointless, which is why I haven’t done the clutch pedal switch. I personally think there is problem in the circuit that somehow killed my first servo, but I’m no expert lol

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Since new servo didn’t work, your original might actually still be good. If you know which wires it is on the clutch switch, you could probably just short them together as a test.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Might I suggest this brick?

DP18-101005_NPC_BG_Red_ACC.jpeg

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, Welcome to TRS :)

This is the de-activator for cruise in 2005 Ranger don't have the 2004 diagram, but most likely the same

There is a separate Pressure switch on the brake line, normally closed, it pass 12v to cruise when key is on, you could test it with OHM meter, 0 ohms means its closed
And fuse 26 in cab needs to be OK

Brake pedal switch has two switches inside, the brake lights of course, and then a second switch that acts as a "sensor"
When brake pedal is up this sensor is a GROUND which passes thru the Clutch switch and to the cruise module
So ground means cruise can turn on
No ground = no cruise, it means brake switch is broken or disconnected, like if clutch pedal was pushed down, no ground
This wire is 12v when brake pedal is pushed, but the lack of a Ground on this wire is what would shut off the cruise
Its a "fail safe" circuit

So test connector on cruise module, pin 9 should be 12v key on
Pin 4 a ground if clutch and brake pedal are both up

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals