• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Crossmember swap

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Well, I knew it would happen, and it did. The ranger (88 reg cab, longbed, 2.9, fm146) I have been building up for my dad to wheel has the trans crossmember with the bushings on the outside of the frame, and he came down pretty hard on it last trip out, and bent the whole thing back, smashing the frame bracket pretty good. SO I was going to swap in the crossmember out of the 83 donor truck, but it's 2wd, and so it won't work. The problem(s) are that it is not clearanced for the front driveshaft, the area that bolts to the trans mount sits up higher than the 4wd one, and the holes for the mount are too close together (If this was the only problem I'd just make new holes) SO I then went for the 99 4wd one I brought home from work, which is too wide for the frame. I knew it was too wide, but was hoping I could lop some off and make it work. I know there is a crossmember that will work, because I have heard of the swap on here before. I did a search, and came up with an Explorer one? What years will work? Is this the only one that will work? I like the tuck up in the frame design of the 2wd one, and I'm assuming the Explorer one is the same design? Is there a specific year ranger one that will work? If I can't come up with one on the cheap, I'll probably end up making one, it would just be easier to find one that is a direct swap. Thanks in advance.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Well, I ended up making a crossmember out of 2"x4" tube, but if anybody has the info, it may help others looking to do the swap.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
91-94 Exploders or similar year 4x4 Rangers ought to work. You will need to drill ONE hole in the bottom of the frame to secure it.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Yeah the stock tranny crossmembers on RBVs are pretty crappy when it comes to trail obstacles. They tend to hang down and get caught up on stuff and bend easily.

Many of the aftermarket crossmembers like the one James Duff makes do not have this problem. It's probably better that you made your own rather than replace it with the stock part, considering the use of the truck.

I have been surprisingly lucky with mine. (Knock on wood)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals