• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cross plane crankshaft conversion?

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Is there such a thing as a cross plane crank conversion? You'd have to find someone who makes a crank and cam. I'm guessing that you could get proper spark with a cleverly designed tone ring/ harmonic balancer.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dunno but there is a whole 'nuther level of harmonics for a block not designed for it to deal with it.

Assuming this is for a V type engine...

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Most V-8s are "cross plane" to begin with.

Only a few of them exotic cars get flat plane cranks.
A flat plane crank will allow the engine to accelerate slightly faster - so if you have a 700hp Cosworth in your F1 Lotus, and are making 40+ shifts per lap, it makes a fraction of a second difference. And that matters in F1. If I'm not mistaken, it actually costs power (with fancy tuning, you can get the power back, but it has been theorized that the Ford Mustang flat plane engine would have made more power as a cross plane. I just wouldn't sound as exotic....​

But for the rest of us mere mortals, the reduced harmonics of a cross plane cranks allow for longer longer service, lives.

Most I-4s are flat plane to get even firing impulses.

I don't think I'd want to do flat plane for I-5 - it would shake itself apart, same for I-6. A V-6 flat plane would have uneven firing.

The whole point of a v-12 is to use the cross plane crank to eliminate both primary and secondary vibration issues, so wouldn't do it there either.

Just remembered: There is/was a Yamaha I-4 bike with cross plane crank. There are advantages to duration without power on a bike as it allows the rear wheel to hook up better. Harley's have similar setup but for different and now historic reasons.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I guess the actual question is if it’s possible to change it. I had 4 cylinder in the mind when I wrote that. I want to hear a cross plane 4. I only know of one that was made. Some Japanese motorcycle I think.
I imagine this idea is one of my more practicable ideas. Spend a few grand on a crank and cam (I’m pretty sure you can find people who will mill it) and trick the timing.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
What kinda race rig you building where it's a 'worth it' kinda thing to do? Having a one off crank and cam made won't be cheap.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A cross plane crank in an I-4 engine will have uneven firing and a lot more unbalance issues than a regular crank, so that's going to be expensive wasted effort.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
A cross plane crank in an I-4 engine will have uneven firing and a lot more unbalance issues than a regular crank, so that's going to be expensive wasted effort.
Probably why there’s only one out there, but it’s supposed to sound good. I guess I’m wondering why it’s not a popular thing to do for V8s. As far as I can tell, the main advantage is even firing order. Apparently a standard V8 has one exhaust pulse that isn’t evenly timed with the others on at least one bank.

BUT…. All the super cars have flat plane, so why not convert?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I love the way the new flat plane crank mustangs sound.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I love the way the new flat plane crank mustangs sound.
They intentionally don't sound like flat plane cranks though.

Ford designed their exhaust to make as close to a cross plane sound as they could.. because they figured most Americans would prefer the classic American v8 sound over the far superior wail of a flat plane motor.

Probably why there’s only one out there, but it’s supposed to sound good. I guess I’m wondering why it’s not a popular thing to do for V8s. As far as I can tell, the main advantage is even firing order. Apparently a standard V8 has one exhaust pulse that isn’t evenly timed with the others on at least one bank.

BUT…. All the super cars have flat plane, so why not convert?
Flat plane cranks ARE super popular, but as you said... usually only in supercars.

They're used in supercars because everything in a supercar is made to the extreme. A flat plane motor will be happy revving more than a few thousand rpm higher than a cross plane motor would.. and make more HP.. the trade off is less torque. Nobody wants a Ferrari that has a 6200 rpm rev limit... you don't wanna have to shift that bad boy until after 9k.

The reason why most of our American v8 sports cars don't have flat plane cranks is pretty much because the people making those kind of decisions are uncultured swine.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Flat plane cranks ARE super popular, but as you said... usually only in supercars.

They're used in supercars because everything in a supercar is made to the extreme. A flat plane motor will be happy revving more than a few thousand rpm higher than a cross plane motor would.. and make more HP.. the trade off is less torque. Nobody wants a Ferrari that has a 6200 rpm rev limit... you don't wanna have to shift that bad boy until after 9k.

The reason why most of our American v8 sports cars don't have flat plane cranks is pretty much because the people making those kind of decisions are uncultured swine.
Less torque = less horsepower. You measure torque and rpm to get horsepower: HP = Torque * rpm/5252

The Voodoo in the Mustang GT350R makes 526 hp as a flat plane engine. Note: The Voodoo has a different flat plane than most, so sounds different even without the tuned exhaust.

The Aluminator - same block and heads as Voodoo but with cross plane crank makes 580 hp! Over 10% more than the flat plane.

The American engineers designed their engines the best for the car American masses can afford/their driving style. Not many Italian mountain roads/German Autobahns in USA (Although, I have enjoyed the no speed limit of Montana back in the day in Mustangs).

Flat plane cranks in v-8 are useful in super light open wheel racers, but like carbon fiber brakes belong on the race track, not on the street.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Less torque = less horsepower. You measure torque and rpm to get horsepower: HP = Torque * rpm/5252

The Voodoo in the Mustang GT350R makes 526 hp as a flat plane engine. Note: The Voodoo has a different flat plane than most, so sounds different even without the tuned exhaust.

The Aluminator - same block and heads as Voodoo but with cross plane crank makes 580 hp! Over 10% more than the flat plane.

The American engineers designed their engines the best for the car American masses can afford/their driving style. Not many Italian mountain roads/German Autobahns in USA (Although, I have enjoyed the no speed limit of Montana back in the day in Mustangs).

Flat plane cranks in v-8 are useful in super light open wheel racers, but like carbon fiber brakes belong on the race track, not on the street.
Less low end power I guess is how I should of worded it, the things are more like rotaries with a flat plane in em.. they wanna be revved.

No autobahns may be the more reasonable answer... but I stand by my uncultured swine comment 😛

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
They intentionally don't sound like flat plane cranks though.
I still like it. It clearly sounds different than a Cross Plane Crank.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Maybe this is why]

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals