• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

crankshaft pully removal

Silver97XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My timing belt replacement project is ready to remove the crankshaft pully, and have tried two wheel pullers and can't get them to get a bite on the engine side of the pully, can I hook onto the radiator side raised lip and pull the pully from there?

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
cant remember how i done it to be honest but i couldnt get a puller on it. i believe i did the hammer/penetrating oil/two screwdriver prying trick. put some penetrating oil on the backside and front of the pulley. tap on the balancer with a hammer and pry on the backside with a long screwdriver or prybar (opposite of the crank position sensor on the upper right, approx 1-2 oclock position) and pry up while tapping on the balancer. took a bit but it worked nicely.

pappy6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You can tap it off as he says above, or you can use the puller grabbing onto the pulley as you wanted....But remember to make sure the puller stays centered on the crank shaft and does not get in the way of the pulley coming off. I didn't and bent the pulley a little. was able to straighten it out but was lucky...shouldn't be hard...it'll pop off.

Silver97XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for your help, I'll give it a try first in the morning, gently. We do have a 3 arm puller, so centering should be no problem,

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
ha this post came up just in time I'm at the exact same point on my 92'. Quick additional question does anybody know if/where the mark on the aux shaft should line up to? I know it only runs the oil pump but wanna make sure it's not specific. Sorry for the thread jack

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
not specific just put it on the pulley thats what i did with my 92 and here i am still running 12k miles later.

BogusSVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Automatic
are you removing the harmonic balncer/pully? or the time belt crank gear?

if it is the balancer pully, you need to use a Harmonic balancer puller (about $12 bux at the parts store for a cheap one) and make sure the balancer bolt and washer are removed.

if the crank grear for the time belt, they should slip off, but at times rust to the crank... soake with your fave penatraint oil, and whack around the face of the gear with a brass drift and good sized hamer to help loosen it

Silver97XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Need to remove the fan belt drive pully, the black groved part so that we can replace the timing belt.

BogusSVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Automatic
you need the harmonic balancer puller... remove the 22mm center bolt and washer, and 2 of the small bolts still inside of the pulley and rig up the Harmonic balacer puller

Desert Rat 23

Reaction score
The scorched land of Arizona, where gun toting, bi
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl. EFI
Transmission
Manual
Need to remove the fan belt drive pully, the black groved part so that we can replace the timing belt.
Did you ever get that pulley off? If you did, how? Im trying to do the same thing to the same rig that you have. Cant figure it out.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
if you have one of those pullers that you would use longer bolts through the 4 that hold the outer pulley on with, tighten those then wack the pulley with a dead blow hammer (dead blow is key, I love my dead blow hammer) on the top then the bottom, this should get it loose, probably take a few steps. With the puller make sure to thread the center bolt in a few threads, you did get the washer that goes under the bolt head out, right?

Desert Rat 23

Reaction score
The scorched land of Arizona, where gun toting, bi
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl. EFI
Transmission
Manual
Yea, the bolt and washer came out without a fight but I cant see any other bolts in there. It looks like a smooth bowl in there. I can see the crankshaft and the shaft key at the 12 o'clock position.
The washer is just the small one that is on the bolt right? Just a little bit bigger than the bolt head? or is that big ass bowl thing another washer?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
no, that's the crank, some people have a heck of a time getting the crank pulley off and are trying to push against the washer that holds the pulley on... it's best to just push on the crank bolt

bwilkinson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 l 4cyl.
Transmission
Manual
i just took the crankshaft pulley off myself. After I removed the 4 10mm bolts, i layed down on my back, looking up at the pulley, I used a pry bar and just popped it off from the back using the block to pry against.

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you are definitly going to need a balancer puller. I just bought one from Advance, works like a charm. What you do is put the center bolt back in and give it a few turns and use that as the pusing point for the center bolt of the puller.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals