• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Crankshaft pulley removal

Otto57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have never seen a crank pulley that looks like this.( file photo ). There are no holes to hook up a puller. Any ideas how to remove it?

Attachments

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, they didn't think it ahead too much... thing is it "shouldn't" need a puller since it is a slip fit and uses the key on the crankshaft to take the shear load. If you have the crank bolt out/loose give it a couple taps on the belt grooves with a dead blow hammer, might help to put some oil on the crank snout (WD, PB, etc) and try to wiggle it off, if that doesn't work a big 3 jaw puller should do the trick, just put a little pressure on it and tap the belt groove with a dead blow hammer or a 2x4 and a regular hammer.

Otto57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok I will give it a try. Thanks

Otto57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I
Yeah, they didn't think it ahead too much... thing is it "shouldn't" need a puller since it is a slip fit and uses the key on the crankshaft to take the shear load. If you have the crank bolt out/loose give it a couple taps on the belt grooves with a dead blow hammer, might help to put some oil on the crank snout (WD, PB, etc) and try to wiggle it off, if that doesn't work a big 3 jaw puller should do the trick, just put a little pressure on it and tap the belt groove with a dead blow hammer or a 2x4 and a regular hammer.
I finally got a chance to work on getting that crank pulley off. You were Right! I removed the bolt with a impact and sprayed some penetrating oil through the bolt hole and gave the pulley a few taps with a dead blow hammer. I was really surprised that I just popped off. Thanks again for the great help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals