• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Crankshaft pulley removal

Otto57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have never seen a crank pulley that looks like this.( file photo ). There are no holes to hook up a puller. Any ideas how to remove it?

Attachments

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 7FA902352B4C01: April 5th, 2021

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, they didn't think it ahead too much... thing is it "shouldn't" need a puller since it is a slip fit and uses the key on the crankshaft to take the shear load. If you have the crank bolt out/loose give it a couple taps on the belt grooves with a dead blow hammer, might help to put some oil on the crank snout (WD, PB, etc) and try to wiggle it off, if that doesn't work a big 3 jaw puller should do the trick, just put a little pressure on it and tap the belt groove with a dead blow hammer or a 2x4 and a regular hammer.

Otto57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok I will give it a try. Thanks

Otto57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I
Yeah, they didn't think it ahead too much... thing is it "shouldn't" need a puller since it is a slip fit and uses the key on the crankshaft to take the shear load. If you have the crank bolt out/loose give it a couple taps on the belt grooves with a dead blow hammer, might help to put some oil on the crank snout (WD, PB, etc) and try to wiggle it off, if that doesn't work a big 3 jaw puller should do the trick, just put a little pressure on it and tap the belt groove with a dead blow hammer or a 2x4 and a regular hammer.
I finally got a chance to work on getting that crank pulley off. You were Right! I removed the bolt with a impact and sprayed some penetrating oil through the bolt hole and gave the pulley a few taps with a dead blow hammer. I was really surprised that I just popped off. Thanks again for the great help.