• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cranks and Cranks....

Vanner1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983, 1977
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
460, 351M
Transmission
Manual
Yesterday truck started right up like it should, which is rare haha. Today I literally cranked and cranked the truck and it doesn't even sound like an engine that wants to start, like no spark whatsoever. Finally it came to life smoked and smelled extremely rich until coming to normal idle. Sooo it seems like I have perfectly fine fuel, as everything is a couple months old but for some weird reason it seems like every time it is damp outside, it's not starting easy at all. Any ideas? I'm wondering if it is crossfiring from bad wires, or something and the moisture makes it extremely bad?

mendozamm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Beast
Transmission
Manual
my 2.9 would not want to start in the mornings or after sitting for 4 or more hours. It would finally start up and wouldnt idle. After 10 min or so of cranking starting and rough idle it would run perfect. I changed my pickup coil and she starts up on the first crank everytime

aeidian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wait until it's dark and have someone crank it over while you look at the distributor. My a/c line wasn't bolted to the throttle body with that one bolt, it was laying down and touching the spark plug boots and causing it to arc. Did exactly what yours is doing, would turn over and over and over, then finally start. It would idle like the timing was off, which it was because of the arcing. Barring that, you may have a bad coil as suggested.

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Pop your distributor cap off and look for green shit. I had problems with mine once. For a while it seemed like I had to replace the cap and rotor due to corrosion like every 6 months, .. but it's been running like a swiss watch for years now.

Well, it blows oil out the rear seal and smells funny, but it always starts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals