• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Crank, no start at -20°

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I hope you fix your truck, but I'm concerned that you said "ICM". To be clear, are you talking about the engine computer, or about this thing?

If you bought that thing, you're probably gonna have to send it back. As far as I know, '95+ integrated that functionality into the main computer, which is more accurately called the ECM or EEC.

blitz67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I hope you fix your truck, but I'm concerned that you said "ICM". To be clear, are you talking about the engine computer, or about this thing?

If you bought that thing, you're probably gonna have to send it back. As far as I know, '95+ integrated that functionality into the main computer, which is more accurately called the ECM or EEC.
Well ain't that interesting. The damn parts store sold the part stating it was for that engine and year. Well I'll for sure find out tomorrow when I'm out there replacing the parts that came today.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The ICM continues to be listed thru '97, even on distributor websites. I've always wondered why, or if there was some version of the truck that kept using the old setup. One of the other guys might know better. I took a '95 apart down to the frame rivets, and it didn't have one.

You can see right away if it's in there. On '94-down, the ICM is bolted to the front of the lower intake manifold, behind the PS pump, before the two tubes split into four. On '95+, the upper intake plenum splits into four tubes right away, and the flat bit where the ICM would go is missing.

blitz67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The ICM continues to be listed thru '97, even on distributor websites. I've always wondered why, or if there was some version of the truck that kept using the old setup. One of the other guys might know better. I took a '95 apart down to the frame rivets, and it didn't have one.

You can see right away if it's in there. On '94-down, the ICM is bolted to the front of the lower intake manifold, behind the PS pump, before the two tubes split into four. On '95+, the upper intake plenum splits into four tubes right away, and the flat bit where the ICM would go is missing.
Yeah that's the next thing on my list today is to get the ranger in the garage thus afternoon and get started on the coul packs and wires and check for the elusive ICM. LOL

blitz67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok the coil packs and plug wires are changed. It runs better but still looses power going up hill. Thinking it's probably a restricted fuel filter.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Same symptom for restricted exhaust or air filter

blitz67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Same symptom for restricted exhaust or air filter
Thanks. Air filter is brand new. Thinking the catalytic converter also but going to try the less expensive part first since it's been a while since the fuel filter has been changed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals