• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CPU usage 100% constant

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
it seems alright right now...
its even not as loud.. doesn't sound like its gonna blow up at the moment.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Ah, now the fun begins...

What that establishes is that you're simply overtaxing the cpu with all the stuff running...to reload everything all at once might give you the same result so it's a matter of enabling them a few at a time...

I'd pick the ones you really really need like antivirus and any added equipment or software that is critical...you can leave the rest unchecked without harming anything...they just load slower when you try to run the program...but AV and firewalls are important...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, my antivirus and firewall are running. that's all i've re-enabled so far.
i'll leave the rest off until i realize that i'm missing something i need. lol.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
this is what i'm looking like now...with my firefox running, which i kept all browsers closed earlier when doing screenshots

repped the people i could for helping.. sorry mark, can't rep you yet. thanks for the help tho.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Svchost can be any number of things. Usually it is just idle processes running in the background to make windows run. i've noticed that like yours, sometimes they can go a little crazy. I kill them if they break 50,000 K. Doing so doesn't hurt anything, if one of them was actually doing something important windows will restart the process and you will see your cpu and memory usage drop pretty significantly.
Ooops...didn't realize that later versions actually allow the services to be shown...is that how you shut them down in Vista/7 et al?

this is what i'm looking like now...with my firefox running, which i kept all browsers closed earlier when doing screenshots

repped the people i could for helping.. sorry eddie, can't rep you yet. thanks for the help tho.
Looks like you dropped about 30 of them...cool...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
dang you and eddie have name's to similar!
sorry about the typo..

yeah dropped about 30 processes.. and A LOT of CPU usage. this thing is working a lot better now.

with everything i've read on the issue, that's never came up. that's crazy. hopefully people might run across this article when they have this issue.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
No problem...I think you reped me last week or two...lol

I used to do tech support and that msconfig was a huge boon when I figured it out...but I see you're running a newer version of windows with a services tab...you might be able to kill the process like CHKNFKR suggested in that tab...but I've never played with it so I don't have a clue...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
No problem...I think you reped me last week or two...lol

I used to do tech support and that msconfig was a huge boon when I figured it out...but I see you're running a newer version of windows with a services tab...you might be able to kill the process like CHKNFKR suggested in that tab...but I've never played with it so I don't have a clue...
OH SNAP... you said the startup tab... i disabled stuff on the services tab. :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
haha...well, both of them, actually...hide Microsoft on the Services and THEN disable all...and THEN disable all on the Start up tab...then reboot...not that you actually need all those MS Services running...lol

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i also found out i had to re-enable my speaker stuff if i want sound! lol... all is good. laptop works great now!

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ToolbarUpdaterService.exe seems off to me. You have malware and other shit going on (edit: Google ToolbarUpdaterService.exe). It can get complicated, I would start with a Malwarebytes scan, and scan with Spybot. Once you remove some of it, restart, and do it over again. If it's preventing either of those programs from running, you will need to try safe mode. If it still fails in safe mode, then you have to do some registry digging, but you have to know what you're looking for (Winlogon - I have seen userinit hijacked to run a virus, then run the actual userinit.exe to log you in normally, why it bypassed safe mode). There are some that also hijack how the operating system is set up to run exe files (it will run a virus, then the application, bypasses safe mode also).

Svchost.exe is eating a bunch of memory, but it's a service that's being manipulated poorly at best. They're not freeing something which is causing a memory leak.

Run netstat -a -b at command prompt, you can narrow down connections that are currently open that seem suspicious to make sure that you're not leaking data and information to a third party. Start without touching the internet so that any connections kept alive aren't making the list bigger than what it needs to be.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals