• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Couple of quick questions to save me a little work...

Rusty Bouquet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xl
Transmission
Automatic
1. What tools would I need to take with me to the yard, to grab some head light assemblies and turn signals too?

2. What bulbs does the instrument cluster use, and how many?

If someone can enlighten me, it would save some time and energy. Thanks.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Take a little tool box/pouch. I take a heavy duty fold up luggage cart with an old milk carton strapped to it filled with things I may need, and if I need something to stand on use the carton. It's easy to wheel around, and can carry quite a bit in case you get shopping fever.

I'd use new bulbs in the cluster. You can get them in bulk type, box of ten I think, your auto parts should know which ones you need, maybe 2 or 3 boxes

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Same here. New headlamp/turn signal assemblies are cheap - so forget junkyard assemblies which are probably also in bad shape.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My headlight assemblies were rather pricey, but I don't remember exactly how much, either 50 or a 100 each, altho they came with a new bulb.
My wrecking yard has a 360 day warranty. Had I known about the yard first I may well have done good to check the assemblies out there also, and simply kept my old bulbs. Mine had somehow leaked and become gunked up inside

Rusty Bouquet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xl
Transmission
Automatic
Just trying to make it a quick trip, and not lug a heavy box of tools around, to just harvest a headlight assembly. I'd rather have a factory one. Most after market light housings are crappy. I'm not getting used bulbs at the yard. I'd know how many dash bulbs I needed if I were salvaging them, but that's just silly... Hence I asked how many there are, hoping to not tear my dash apart, just to find out, put it back together and go get the bulbs, then tear it all down again to install them...

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's a ford so you will need a 9/32 socket, 5/16" socket, a few pry bars, a basic socket set just in case and a few pliers like channel locks and cutters. It's better to take it and not need it than to need it and not have it in my opinion. Take extra parts and keep them in the vehicle if you need them. Our junkyard has a bunch of 2 wheels wheel barrows they let people use so it makes hauling tools easy.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Flat blade screwdriver, Philips screwdriver, torx drivers and all of the above.

Been a while since I worked on my headlights. I seem to remember needing Philips screwdriver to remove the grill. I think the adjusters also had Philips heads on them. Might want a pair of pliers to squeeze and remove the plastic clip thingies that the adjusters/mounting screws screw into. I always take my whole junk yard toolbag with me except I sometimes leave the 1/2" drive socket set in the truck to lighten the bag. For me, it's just too easy to put the whole bag in the wheelbarrow and roll it around the yard.

Last edited:

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Wow, I don't think some of these guys read everything you asked. the tools that 91stranger and Eric said sound correct. The instrument cluster bulbs are 94, sorry I don't remember if there's a letter with it and I don't know how many. I replaced the whole front clip on a Explorer my wife had, I got lucky and there was a ranger with newer headlights housings. I know this is probably to late but just in case you haven't gone to the junkyard yet.

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Wow, I don't think some of these guys read everything you asked. the tools that 91stranger and Eric said sound correct. The instrument cluster bulbs are 94, sorry I don't remember if there's a letter with it and I don't know how many. I replaced the whole front clip on a Explorer my wife had, I got lucky and there was a ranger with newer headlights housings. I know this is probably to late but just in case you haven't gone to the junkyard yet.
Nice job!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
SawzAll and 3 battery packs.

Rusty Bouquet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xl
Transmission
Automatic
Eh, it's the internet. I took just a couple tools that fit in my pocket. No need to lug a 50lb box of tools around for just that. Scored a nice clean set of factory light assemblies, with some spare bulbs for $20.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals