• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) cost to replace 2.5l engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.5l mt 2wd
Transmission
Manual
hey, i looked around online for the cost of engine replacement for a 2000 ranger 2.5l mt 2wd 275kmi
i am looking for the price of used motor and labor price of california city or rural oregon

i think i have engine knock and i want to find price of engine replacement to compare to the price of an engine overhual from a shop.

extra info:
my truck is at a friends house in the middle of oregon and i live 500miles away in california, lots of mountains between here and there.

also ive been throwingg a running lean p0171 code for two years if that helped develop the knock :(

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I was quoted $1500-2500 for a full rebuild on my 2.3 a few years ago by three machine shops. That was me dropping the engine off and picking it up... I did all the labor to pull it and put it back in.

Junkyard engine prices are all over the place. Could be pretty inexpensive, some junkyards will sell any engine from any vehicle for a couple hundred bucks...some other places test them and price them based on mileage and overall condition. car-part.com is a good resource to find what you need locally. I would probably plan on at least $1000 labor alone plus parts if you have a shop swap engines... plus other things that should/could be replaced at the same time... clutch/radiator/belts/hoses/little parts.

Unless the truck has sentimental value or is in exceptionally good condition... you may be better off just finding a different vehicle... I might have a different opinion if it was sitting at your house instead of 500 miles away.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.5l mt 2wd
Transmission
Manual
i figure with the direction that moderncar mechinics is going, a 00 ranger or 00civic may be something to hold onto. ima diyer, not a master mechanic

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
I have been looking for a 2.5 engine for over 10 years to replace the one in my truck that is dying a slow death. I have yet to find one or another truck that has one. A found a local machine shop that will do all the work for around $800 including reconditioning the head. With a fully rebuilt head $1000.

An option I have been looking into is a GM Ecotec 2.0L turbo, 2.2 N/A, or 2.4 supercharged mated to an early 700R4 transmission since my truck is an autostatic. LOL There are many companies that provide swap parts. It can be done for around $1500-2000 if you find a cheap donor which doesn't seen to be hard around here.

rangerx4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here is one already rebuilt with a 5 year unlimited mile warranty. Free shipping. $1,189.99. Plus labor obviously.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
hey, i was wondering, how much would labor cost for installation in mexi-cali

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm not sure on the hours it takes, most shops go on flat rate which is probably like 5-6 hours at $120-150 an hour... someone else might have a closer hour estimate...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
under a thousand dollars for labor on an engine swap? i figured it would be like $1500 and up (10 hours and up)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals