• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cost to rebuild engine and transmission

mellow_mase_502

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Automatic
I have gotten a 2001 Mazda B3000 3.0 automatic trans, (320,000 miles) 2wd, I’m looking to get a ball park figure and getting both transmission and engine rebuilt. They are both leaking transmission fluid and engine oil really bad from all different places so in order to fix the leaks it would really need a complete tear down. but it still drives fine makes little noises every once In a while from torque converter. But I was gonna take out the motor and trans and have them rebuilt and then install them back myself. I would rebuild both but don’t have the time and don’t have all the tools to get it done. Let me know your thoughts and opinions.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
It depends greatly on how much machine work the engine will need, and what shop labor rates are around you. I would say somewhere in the 4500-5500 k ballpark.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
I just did both within the last year to year and a half. Trans was right around $1400 I dropped it off at a shop no parts etc. Did some minor modifications internal but nothing major.
Engine I supplied the short block parts, had the crank polished as it was still in spec and labor and machine work was $600 IIRC. Bought new heads for $4-500. Then all the odds and ends parts will add up depending on what needs done.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
At 320,000 miles I wouldn't even guess without seeing it in pieces. Rebuilt means different things to different people, I rebuilt a 390 this summer that was an ADK or ATK reman with less than 10,000 miles on it. The block had to be bored to get round cylinders, pistons replaced, all 16 valves replaced because the stems were severely worn, crank had to be turned, cam bearings were worn to copper, and the coolant passages were clogged with rust and corrosion. Just building the engine was north of $7000 with parts, machining, and labor that I billed at only $30/hr.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I got quotes of $1500-$3000 to rebuild my 2.3, that was 8 years ago. I'm guessing you will be on the high end of that at minimum, assuming your crank, rods, heads, etc are usable. More if they are not. Transmission - depends on the builder and if anything other than wear items need to be replaced. $2500 is probably a good ballpark number but it could be more or less... you want someone who knows our trucks working on it, it's worth paying more if the guy says, yeah, I have done a lot of those... vs the guy who says I haven't touched a Ranger in years.

Walt is right about differing standards of rebuilds. I have met several people who truly believe that it means scraping some dirt off and spray painting the engine block.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Re-manufactured "crate" engine(long block) 3.0, runs $2,200

Re-manufactured 5R44E transmission runs $2,500

Removal of both takes about 10 hours
Re-install about 12 hours
22 hours at $125/hour is $2,750
Plus another $250 for fluids and "stuff"

So $7,700 as WORST CASE scenario

That's $128/month over 60 months(5 years) to drive vehicle with new engine and trans

If you are not going to do the work yourself then I would find a shop willing to do it and let them supply the engine and transmission, and provide the WARRANTY on all parts and labor
That way IF there is a problem there can be no "finger pointing" of who's fault it is

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals