• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

corrosion

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
I got bad battery cable corrosion. What causes it? I can clean it but it will build back up. I was gonna replace the battery but I really think it maybe the cable insted it has always seem like the car has had a short or a slight electrical issues it will seem to have a slight electrical studder during start ups. During stops while holding the brakes the car will shake like it just slightly under idle but if I was to put it in park it will stop unless the cooling fan kicks on the it'll shake from that briefly. So it shakes during electrical draws. I thought about just repalcing the battery and both positive and negative cables.:dunno: maybe the motor gorund wire is going bad?? Any ideas??:dunno:

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Corrosion occurs because you can't seal lead with plastic. What I mean is the case encloses the lead terminals. As the engine compartment heats up the battery does as well. This causes the case the expand. As the acid gets warm the fumes leak around the posts and poof! Corrosion starts.

The best way to get rid of it is go to a parts store, get felt washers and the battery post grease. Clean everything, coat the terminals in the grease then put the washers on. This should stop 99% of the corrosion.

As to your stumble issue I'd have the battery checked but I think it's another issue.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
When you say battery post grease could I use that clear grease that I use on lights bulbs and plug wires? I'm positve I can I just rather ask then be wrong. I can't afford to learn from my mistakes right now.

Last edited:

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
That will work I used that contact grease on my jeep battery posts and it worked well. But definitely get the felt washers too. They ate only a Buck or two art any auto parts store on the planet.

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
When you say battery post grease could I use that clear grease that I use on lights bulbs and plug wires? I'm positve I can I just rather ask then be wrong. I can't afford to learn from my mistakes right now.
Clean it up REAL good with baking soda and water, or battery corrosion remover (spray can: AZ, Advance, etc. has it). Clean the terminals, the cable ends, top of the battery too. Then the felt washers, then di-electric grease, or Vaseline, or battery terminal sealant spray. I've used regular old wheel-bearing grease in a pinch when I had nothing else available. Just seal up the connection, that's the important part.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
I actually should have a can of termanal cleaner in the garage some where I had the same issue with my ranger and I just keep using it and cleaning with a wire brush. I'm hoping that cleaning up the conection will fix the electrical "short".

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
If the battery cable(s) have corrosion working it's way into OLD cables, that will rob power from the battery causing problems.

My '89 Ranger electrics started acting up--the cheap battery was 3 years old & had green/white build-up on the cable ends. I cleaned the cable ends & put in a new battery....after a month the electric problems started again.... :icon_bounceblue:

After an hour of searching, I noticed a "bump" in the plastic coating on the negative cable--I cut a piece of the plastic insulation off the cable--the wiring was corroded! I replaced BOTH cables---electrics are great now.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
If the battery cable(s) have corrosion working it's way into OLD cables, that will rob power from the battery causing problems.

My '89 Ranger electrics started acting up--the cheap battery was 3 years old & had green/white build-up on the cable ends. I cleaned the cable ends & put in a new battery....after a month the electric problems started again.... :icon_bounceblue:

After an hour of searching, I noticed a "bump" in the plastic coating on the negative cable--I cut a piece of the plastic insulation off the cable--the wiring was corroded! I replaced BOTH cables---electrics are great now.
Yea thats what i'm thinkin too^^. I'm getting ready to run to the parts store now to get the felt washers i'm gonna look to see how much wires cost. Then I'll look at all the wires under the hood cause I really think it's a engine ground. This is my first weekend off in a while so nows my chance.

I'll get some pics too.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
:icon_surprised:

Thanks.....i knew i forgot something....

i didn't run a direct frame-to-engine ground cable to the V8 when i did the engine swap :annoyed: no wonder the manual choke cable throws a spark where it connects to the carb choke-arm :icon_bounceblue:

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_surprised:

Thanks.....i knew i forgot something....

i didn't run a direct frame-to-engine ground cable to the V8 when i did the engine swap :annoyed: no wonder the manual choke cable throws a spark where it connects to the carb choke-arm :icon_bounceblue:
Not a problem! lol

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yep, once corrosion gets inside the wire, you need to replace it. I ran into electrical issues on my choptop awhile back. It was driving me nuts because everything looked fine until one day I was playing with the battery cables and realized that when I flexed the wires I heard a crunchy sound... like Doorgunnr, I sliced a little insulation off to find the cables were corroded from one end to the other. New wires and a liberal application of dielectric grease to the connections and I was back in business. I swear by dielectric grease, I have at least two tubes of the stuff on hand at all times, any time I disconnect an electrical connection, I'm pulling out the tube of grease. Best way to prevent corrosion is to never let it start.

I also gave up on the cheap battery terminals too. I use brass marine terminals anymore, they seem to work a lot better and are more resistant to corrosion and damage.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
I went and bought the felt washers and I got some terminal protectant spray. I was going to go ahead and buy some wires too but O'reillys didn't know what size I needed so I wasn't going bother. Last time I bought some for my truck and my wifes car autozone was able to tell me which to buy so i'll check there if I need'em. Any way by the time I got home from the parts store and walmart it was dark and storming so i'll work on it tomarrow afternoon then give you guys a up date.:icon_thumby:

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ok got up and got it done today. Helped a bit but the cables need still need replaced there are so many on both sides it's gonna be a while. I'm gonna half to trace them to see where the go which is gonna invovle the removal of things like the air box and so on. I'm just gonna half to deal for now and hope it doesn't get worse. The postive wires looked worse so i'll prolly go with those first. Anyways on with the pics.

Cleaner, protectant, and washers.

What I have been dealing with.

I sprayed cleaned off and wire brushed the terminals, and the connectors. It looks like the factory connectors are cooper too.

I cleaned up all the over splash and greased up everything and reattached all the wires then spayed on the protectant.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals