• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Corroseal rust converter review

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

Read the website if you want the official spiel.. but the short of it is this:

Corroseal Is a water based non-corrosive rust converter & encapsulator that can be brushed or sprayed on.

Super easy to use, simple prep.

Knock off any loose rust, clean of any dust/oil, apply, watch dry, enjoy. Once it's dry, you'll be left with an extremely tough black coating.

The company claims it doesn't require topcoating for long lasting protection (and I believe them), but if you feel like spraying something over the top they reccomend something oil based.

I bought a gallon to do the frame & axles on my squarebody, and tested it out on some ubolt plates so I could know what to expect.

20220501_153628.jpg

35 year old salt belt u-bolt plate, freshly pulled.

20220501_155540.jpg

Quickly shined with a wire wheel, and wiped with alcohol.

20220501_161251.jpg

Apply the corroseal as thick as you can get it on, its consistency is a little thicker than heavy cream. The surface of these plates turned black almost instantly.

20220501_181249.jpg

Took about half an hour or so at 50°F for the plates to be dry to the touch. Not tacky... dry. I took them inside for the night so they could fully cure in the specified temp range (45°F to 100°F)

20220502_184156.jpg

After they cured for 24 hours, I hit the finish with the wire wheel again to see for myself how tough it is....

It's tough. Wire wheel couldn't even dream of stripping this stuff off (picture is post-wheeling)

I'm really super happy with the 70$ I spent on getting a gallon of this shipped off amazon. I'm not going to drive the truck in the salt/snow.. or probably even the rain.. so this application really isn't going to be a "torture test" for its durability.. but I have no doubts that this crap is going to properly seal up its frame for the rest of its life.

I'm even going to brush some on whatever little rust is under my '21 before I have it fluid filmed this summer. After 2 salty winters in maine I'm sure it has at least a little.

Corroseal... get some!

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Got some a year ago. Same result. Good stuff and easy to use.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Buuut..... What if you want blue? Or fluorescent pink?

Or is this a Henry Ford thing... you can have any colour you want, as long as it's black?

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Read the website if you want the official spiel.. but the short of it is this:

Corroseal Is a water based non-corrosive rust converter & encapsulator that can be brushed or sprayed on.

Super easy to use, simple prep.

Knock off any loose rust, clean of any dust/oil, apply, watch dry, enjoy. Once it's dry, you'll be left with an extremely tough black coating.

The company claims it doesn't require topcoating for long lasting protection (and I believe them), but if you feel like spraying something over the top they reccomend something oil based.

I bought a gallon to do the frame & axles on my squarebody, and tested it out on some ubolt plates so I could know what to expect.

View attachment 75790
35 year old salt belt u-bolt plate, freshly pulled.

View attachment 75797
Quickly shined with a wire wheel, and wiped with alcohol.

View attachment 75798
Apply the corroseal as thick as you can get it on, its consistency is a little thicker than heavy cream. The surface of these plates turned black almost instantly.

View attachment 75799
Took about half an hour or so at 50°F for the plates to be dry to the touch. Not tacky... dry. I took them inside for the night so they could fully cure in the specified temp range (45°F to 100°F)

View attachment 75800

After they cured for 24 hours, I hit the finish with the wire wheel again to see for myself how tough it is....

It's tough. Wire wheel couldn't even dream of stripping this stuff off (picture is post-wheeling)

I'm really super happy with the 70$ I spent on getting a gallon of this shipped off amazon. I'm not going to drive the truck in the salt/snow.. or probably even the rain.. so this application really isn't going to be a "torture test" for its durability.. but I have no doubts that this crap is going to properly seal up its frame for the rest of its life.

I'm even going to brush some on whatever little rust is under my '21 before I have it fluid filmed this summer. After 2 salty winters in maine I'm sure it has at least a little.

Corroseal... get some!
Thanks for the heads up. I know a certain Ford that followed me home I can use this on.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Ok... $67 on Amazon. I'd like to give the 06 a little clean up this summer. I might just try a gallon.

I also moved this to the Review Forum...

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Does this stuff need to be topcoated to hold up to UV light? The similar stuff I have used in the past says it will not hold up to sunlight unless it has been topcoated, and my experience is that is true. Curious if this is the same.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Does this stuff need to be topcoated to hold up to UV light? The similar stuff I have used in the past says it will not hold up to sunlight unless it has been topcoated, and my experience is that is true. Curious if this is the same.
That I'm not exactly sure of... I'm relatively sure I've read that it holds up to sunlight but I'm not 100%

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals