• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Correct T5 bolting up to a 302 swapped into 2000 Ranger

Bob Hatcher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 302 of 99 to 04 vintage and began buying parts from a local guy who did this swap to his ranger - I already bought his flywheel, course spline clutch disc and pressure plate all with less than 400 miles on them - I now went to buy the T5, which I knew would bolt up since it did in his swap, and it turns out that the case is cracked so he junked it - now I come to the issue of choosing another trans on my own and I am not that up on my Fords anymore - I found a T5 locally that sat behind a 4.6 so I know it will handle a stock 302 but will the bell housing bolt up and is the input shaft the correct length - I have attached photos of the clutch disc I already bought (10 spline) , the input shaft on the T5 from the 4.6 (appears to be also 10 spline) and the serial number of the 4.6 T5 for sale - could anyone help with info? Thank you

Attachments

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Few thing here...

1) 5.0L/302 is commonly referred to as a Windsor or Small Block Ford (SBF). The 4.6L is most commonly referred to as a Modular (mod) motor. Their bell housing patterns are commonly referred to by the same names.

2) Nearly all SBF and Mod motors had different bellhousing patterns. The mod motor bellhousing pattern was new for it. Some very early Mod motors had the SBF pattern, allegedly it was only the first two casting runs of the engine, that would be in the early 90s and they didn;t start putting a manual transmission behind them until the mustang in 1996. Can't speak for the inputshaft, but it's probably same as the bellhousing.

3)That is not a Borg Werner T5. That is a Tremec TR-3650. Those were introduced in 2001 behind the 4.6L in the Mustangs. While it is arguably a better transmission, I can pretty well guarantee that it will not bolt up to your SBF. Also the 3650 has an integrated bellhousing so it can not be swapped out to make it work.

You'll need either a SBF or 3.8L/4.2L V6 T5 to have the same bellhousing.

Bob Hatcher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Few thing here...

1) 5.0L/302 is commonly referred to as a Windsor or Small Block Ford (SBF). The 4.6L is most commonly referred to as a Modular (mod) motor. Their bell housing patterns are commonly referred to by the same names.

2) Nearly all SBF and Mod motors had different bellhousing patterns. The mod motor bellhousing pattern was new for it. Some very early Mod motors had the SBF pattern, allegedly it was only the first two casting runs of the engine, that would be in the early 90s and they didn;t start putting a manual transmission behind them until the mustang in 1996. Can't speak for the inputshaft, but it's probably same as the bellhousing.

3)That is not a Borg Werner T5. That is a Tremec TR-3650. Those were introduced in 2001 behind the 4.6L in the Mustangs. While it is arguably a better transmission, I can pretty well guarantee that it will not bolt up to your SBF. Also the 3650 has an integrated bellhousing so it can not be swapped out to make it work.

You'll need either a SBF or 3.8L/4.2L V6 T5 to have the same bellhousing.
Will the 3.8L/4.2L V6 T5 be able to take a non fuel injected 302 and still live even though it was built for a V6? And will the input shaft be the correct length and be 10 spline? Thanks

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can't say for certain, but I think that they were the same strength wise as the SFB version (called a T5 World Class), but may have had different gear ratios. I haven't looked closely at using that version, just recall that they should fit behind the SBF.

Of note when looking at V6 T5s, the 4.0L Mustangs also used a T5. The 4.0L T5 will not work with the SBF, it had the same bellhousing pattern as all other Colgone engines.

Bob Hatcher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the help - I will restart my search and see what I come up with using this new found knowledge

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals