• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Correct Spark Plug for my 2011 Ranger

kd3yt

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Need some clarification - Looking for spark plugs for the 2011 Ranger 4.0 with 75000 miles I just bought. Have been looking all over the internet and it seems that the Motorcraft SP-412 comes up the most. This is a nickle plug and alot I read called for double platinum. So what should I use?? If I should use the double platinum, what is the Motorcraft number? Thanks is advance.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 412 should be just fine. A few years ago most manufacturers started moving their service parts from platinum/ double platinum to nickle. Someone figured out that it gives similar performance and durability (the main draw of platinum) but uses a much cheaper and more abundant metal, so lowers the production costs.

I think I have 412s in my Explorer and it runs about as well as can be expected for 220K miles. Particularly since most of the evidence I have suggests it was sorely neglected for the first 200K.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Doesn’t the SP in SP-412 stand for single platinum?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Doesn’t the SP in SP-412 stand for single platinum?
No, it stands for Spark Plug. Motor craft numbers are funny like that.

FL-910 = Filter, lube.

FA 1884 = Filter, air

FG-800-A = Filter, gas

FD-1763 = Filter, diesel

SP-412 = Spark plug.

See the pattern?

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Okay, I'm late to the game, but maybe these comments will help someone.

Ford calls for changing plugs only after 105,000 miles on 2011 models (some sources differ on this). I've had bad experiences with plugs left in engines too long, so changing them was a big priority after I bought my 2011 with 101,000 miles last month. Ford calls for the SP-412 (AGSF24N) nickel plug gapped 0.052–0.054", but in the old days nickel plugs did well to make 20,000 miles of use.

I couldn't budge the No. 3 plug (rear on passenger side) despite using PB Blaster on it. That one was first because it looked like the worst to get to. A mechanic buddy who knew a few tricks changed the plugs and plug wires a week later. He saved the old stuff for me.

By the way, the new wires are Motorcraft and new plugs are Denso PT20TT platinum-iridium that I gapped at 0.052". That allows for staying in spec for awhile even with erosion. I also put a small amount of Copaslip antiseize on the Denso threads and some silicone electrical lube in the new plug wire boots before giving them to my buddy.

He confirmed the old Motorcraft SP-412 plugs were original because of a blue mark on them that Ford applies at the factory. The wires had the cylinder numbers, so they were also original. The surprise was that the old plugs were in relatively good shape even after 100,000 miles. There was no evidence of problems in any cylinder. The gap had eroded to about 0.070" on all six, so it was time to change them.

The engine runs like a champ with the new plugs and wires. But looks as if the Motorcraft nickel plugs are better and last longer than I expected. Live and learn. We'll see how the Densos do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals