• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coronavirus

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just got my first shot this morning, so far so good I guess. :black_eye:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
India and South Africa are not third world countries.

The lockdown thing in the states is pretty easy to explain if you look at the numbers across time. States that locked down and implemented mask mandates early saw a slower climb in infection rates. It was never about stopping it, it was about slowing it. And inevitably lockdowns and mask mandates weren't gonna do much in the long run anyway because half of America ignored them. You can't claim social distancing and masks don't work when you're not using either...
About the mask thing let me ask; How many of you wearing masks, being in the store, have smelled a person walking by you? You have women who seem to take a bath in perfume. You have the people that do not take a bath at all. And then you have the chain smokers who smell like nicotine.

If I can smell these people like I have always been able to, through the mask, what does that say about the virus getting through the mask? I don't have any scientific specs on this, but I would think if I could smell perfume particles, smoke particles, or just plain filth particles through the mask, couldn't the virus go right on through also? I would think someone who is sick with the virus, has it all over them like anything else. I can't be the only one who has noticed this, and have gone hmmmm....... about it.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
About the mask thing let me ask; How many of you wearing masks, being in the store, have smelled a person walking by you? You have women who seem to take a bath in perfume. You have the people that do not take a bath at all. And then you have the chain smokers who smell like nicotine.

If I can smell these people like I have always been able to, through the mask, what does that say about the virus getting through the mask? I don't have any scientific specs on this, but I would think if I could smell perfume particles, smoke particles, or just plain filth particles through the mask, couldn't the virus go right on through also? I would think someone who is sick with the virus, has it all over them like anything else. I can't be the only one who has noticed this, and have gone hmmmm....... about it.
I don't think anyone has suggested that a mask is attempting to be a 100% block of transmission that way. It's simply reducing the quantity and distance of particles coming from your mouth and nose. It's certainly not like wearing MOPP gear.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

It greatly reduces the radius if you have the virus is the big thing. I have coughed with my mask and when I went to cover I didn't feel anything.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Wear a mask, I'm done giving you free science lessons.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wear a mask, I'm done giving you free science lessons.
Oh come on, we only have 45.x pages to go to see if this thread disappears like the "what did you do to your truck 1.0" thread... we are so close.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Oh come on, we only have 45.x pages to go to see if this thread disappears like the "what did you do to your truck 1.0" thread... we are so close.
Ok ok how bout this one last attempt.

Virus is tiny. But tiny virus is stuck inside big goo droplets from your face water. Masks stop the big goo droplets that contain the tiny virus from spraying out of your face and onto my face.

Class dismissed. Now drink your juice box and eat your animal crackers.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

Virus is tiny. But tiny virus is stuck inside big goo droplets from your face water. Masks stop the big goo droplets that contain the tiny virus from spraying out of your face and onto my face.

This guy does some pretty thorough and cool testing. Maybe one day he will do a mask test.

I do things everyday not because it makes sense, but because I am told to. I work for a living. That doesn't mean I can't question why, though I have to do it silently or lose my job. Openly questioning certain things on this board may make me subject to some derision, but it will be a sad day when people are afraid to question things. And that day is already here on twitter and facebook.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"

Science.

AJ

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Well I am now eligible for the shot, so I am scheduled to get my Covid shot this coming wednesday. I hope it doesn't knock me down too much

AJ

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
This guy does some pretty thorough and cool testing. Maybe one day he will do a mask test.

I do things everyday not because it makes sense, but because I am told to. I work for a living. That doesn't mean I can't question why, though I have to do it silently or lose my job. Openly questioning certain things on this board may make me subject to some derision, but it will be a sad day when people are afraid to question things. And that day is already here on twitter and facebook.
Yup, George Orwell's vision is now a reality. Except it didn't come entirely from government, social media and search engines drown out any dissent rather handily.

Was watching "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" last night, and it just stuck me how absurd the scene was where they are trying to decide whether to burn the accused witch, or not - and how it pretty much mirrors what happens when you question the official party line on things, these days.

Last edited:

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15

In addition to viruses being flung around in big drops of goo..... which I don't think anyone would argue with..... there are also aerosolized viruses that are floating around in air, without being attached to big drops of goo.

So 'goo' isn't the only transmission vector. If it was..... there would be NO virus transmission where there were mask requirements. None. States that locked down hard, and had enforceable mask orders.... would have a zero rate of transmission, if 'goo' was the only vector.

Clearly, it isn't the only way this stuff spreads. My son managed to give it to me, without ever coughing on me once, or sneezing once, and mostly staying on the other side of the house.... while wearing a mask.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Time of exposure matters. It's called viral load. There are two ways you get enough viral load to be infected. Either a ton of virus enters your body in a short amount of time via large droplets, or you spend a lot of time in an enclosed space with a lot of aerosolized particles. So, the CDC says that it takes about 10 minutes within 6ft of an infected person to be considered "high risk" of exposure.
If you're passing a random person on the street, or in the aisle of a store, you're not likely to transmit the virus unless one of coughs or sneezes into the other's face, hence masks/social distancing in public.
However, if people spend enough time in an enclosed area there can be enough aerosolized droplets in the air from regular breathing, etc to transmit the virus, particularly if at least one person is unmasked. The guidance from virologists has said pretty consistently that you're far more likely to get the virus in places/situations where multiple people are together in an enclosed space for a lengthy amount of time. This means you're more likely to get the virus from family, friends, or coworkers than a short interaction with a random stranger.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
So....you can catch this virus from other people? Whether you are wearing a mask or not? Whether you are social distancing or not? Whether you have had the vax or not/ Hmmmnnnn.....
Seems like the best idea is to stay away from people. Right up my alley. I don't like people much anyway.

That was meant to be sarcastic. It is real. It does kill people, friends, relatives, etc. And I am sorry for your loss. I've had friends die from it or complications from it as well. But, geez....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals