• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coronavirus

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That's sad...

RIP Mr Diffie

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Took my son, to the drive thru car wash. We pulled in to the prep stall, buckets w/wash brooms, vac hoses handy, ect--I gave him rubber gloves to wear, for handling the "community brushes"!!! He scrubbed out the tires/rims, windshield, hood, ect, and I looked around at the other thirty stalls, and saw not one single person, wearing/protecting themselves, from uncleaned surfaces/devices--They were handling the equipment, with no PPE at all!!! --No gloves!!! Certainly not my job, to police the world, but I have to say--Appears a "fundamental" change, in the way we NEED, to operate, during our routine day to day activities, seems to need to take place!!!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Probably 40% of my customers this last week come in with gloves and a mask.

I personally carry a bottle of hand sanitizer in my pocket and have a commercial size jug in my truck and a box of nitrile gloves. I use the gloves to pump gas and to push the shopping cart at the grocery store. The hardest part I find is not touching my face. I wear glasses and it's just natural to push them up. I've also considered shaving my goatee... cause I seem to always want to touch that too.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Driving through the neighborhood by me I saw that the community playground had plastic fencing around all of the equipment to keep the kids from gathering.

People are still going to beaches, hair salons, and other places because the government hasn't issued a lock down, so it must not be that serious. It's crazy to think that people are waiting on the government to tell them to stop doing things.

Your personal safety and welfare is your responsibility. Don't wait or count on the government. Stay informed and make good decisions. I have a post in this forum about the Spanish Flu pandemic, and I think it's worth reading. Did you know it lasted 2-years?

I read that health officials predict 100,000-200,000 Americans could die. The President thinks this will peak in the beginning of May. There's some discrepancy there.

In the meantime, Panda Express says that I'm going to get through it. :yahoo:

20200329_193944.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most offroad parks are still open, Badlands is one because they feel they can meet the social distancing requirements since you are more that 6’ apart or whatever. I suppose beaches are rolling with the same train of thought.

I did notice city parks have all they playground and picnic stuff taped off around here. The governor order salons to close.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Tried to go to the commissary today but it was closed to non military. Don't blame them, had to go to the 87th medical anyway so no big deal. Still a massive line for some reason. Then I went to acme and it was almost business as usual. Not at all crowded, and most things were back in stock including toilet paper. Disinfectants were still scarce including hydrogen peroxide which I needed for my dogs feet. Most people here have calmed down and settled in to the new normal for now. Restaurants are slowly shutting down completely though so its cooking in or McDonald's, I really feel for @Uncle Gump. You don't realize how awesome that real restaurant pizza is till you're stuck cooking a microwave one cause everything is closed.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Tried to go to the commissary today but it was closed to non military. Don't blame them, had to go to the 87th medical anyway so no big deal. Still a massive line for some reason. Then I went to acme and it was almost business as usual. Not at all crowded, and most things were back in stock including toilet paper. Disinfectants were still scarce including hydrogen peroxide which I needed for my dogs feet. Most people here have calmed down and settled in to the new normal for now. Restaurants are slowly shutting down completely though so its cooking in or McDonald's, I really feel for @Uncle Gump. You don't realize how awesome that real restaurant pizza is till you're stuck cooking a microwave one cause everything is closed.
I've noticed the grocery stores shelves are filling back up again here. I was able to actually buy some pork chops, burger and eggs on Saturday. They also had toilet paper and paper towels. Still no luck with hand sanitizer or disinfecting cleaners though.

My sales were up a bit over the doom and gloom projections we created over the weekend. Still nowhere close to what they should be but trending higher then expected. I think it's two fold... people have used up a good portion of what they bought a couple weeks ago causing the store shortages. Also... people are just a bit more accepting the new norm for this time. I think we are going to adjust our hours of operation a bit more to ease the losses but still keep the service to the community available. I have to find the sweet spot quick. The rate it's bleeding right now simply can't be maintained.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I supported my local pizza shop and delivery driver Friday. :D(y)

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My whole thing is this...

If youre healthy and under 70 years old your chance of dying from coronavirus is around 3% or less

Whats your chances of being in a fatal accident? Getting another diasese/sickness that ends you? Getting shot and dieing? Hell, having a heart attack? Whatever?

Im not saying persay that the response is overblown, but is it really much more dangerous then the risks we live with everyday?

Not trying to start a war, just curious.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It's not about the mortality rate so much as its absolutely overwhelming our healthcare system and it's not even close to peaked yet. They are making feild hospitals anywhere they can just to handle the influx of sick people. So if you have a heart attack or car accident right now, you may not even be able to get to a hospital. The reaction of closing things down and isolation is to slow the spread enough over time that the healthcare system doesn't completely collapse.

Last edited:

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up

If youre healthy and under 70 years old your chance of dying from coronavirus is around 3% or less

Whats your chances of being in a fatal accident? Getting another diasese/sickness that ends you? Getting shot and dieing? Hell, having a heart attack? Whatever?

Im not saying persay that the response is overblown, but is it really much more dangerous then the risks we live with everyday?

Rusty, your playing the numbers game, but your not comparing similar numbers.
Yeah there are a number of auto fatalities every day, but when you consider the millions of miles driven in the US daily, the # becomes very very small.
Same with being shot.
As far as other disease's or illness, the vast majority are long term...your generally not going to die within 2-3 weeks.
Flu...yeah, many still pass from it, but the majority haven't had a flu vaccine shot or have other immune illness's.
This particular bug can kill you within a matter of days or weeks. And you can get it by just someone who has it just breathing on you.
Look at Louisiana, and New Orleans. 3 weeks ago they had virtually no cases, but after the idiots decided to let Mardi Gras go on, well look at where there at now.
Additionally we have no way to determine what is going on in many of the 3rd world countries or the mid east in the refugee camps. No clean water, no way to distance from another. The ### of cases there must be huge.
And now, there are just as many victims under 70 as over. The majority of cases in New Orleans are young, and in rest of country, the 70 age is not a factor anymore.
I'll ask you this...would you stand in a room with 99 other people, knowing if someone with the virus walked in, 50 % of you would get sick enough to be hospitalized, and 3 of you would die ?
Grumpaw

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Well, my thing is this...

For the past (2) years I haven't had health insurance because it got to expensive, and I couldn't afford it. Now that I'm 52, the rate is suppose to be lower, and I should be able to sign back up during open enrollment in November.

People under 70 do die from it. There was a perfectly healthy 44 year old guy here in Texas that died from it. But it seems like when I hear about people hospitalized, they're in their 50's. Or maybe those cases catch my attention more. If I get it I might survive, but it will likely kill me financially. So I have to be careful.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Illinois just reported over 1000 new cases and 18 deaths yesterday...

Also saying it won't peak for a couple weeks. So it's expected to get worse. They say hospitals will be overrun in two weeks... they are in process of converting McCormick Place Convention center into a 3000 bed hospital.

I'm also in the same boat as Jim... if I survive it... it would still most likely ruin me in other ways.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals