• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coronavirus

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Trump is not capable of admitting to a problem. It's in his nature. Which is not what you need in a president in a time of crisis. Calm, hopefull and determined sure, but he is downright oblivious and incapable of telling people the truth. Which is what they need!

All the man needs to say is...

"sh*t is gonna suck for a while, keep isolating and we will assess the situation moving forward".

Not, "Everything is fine, we are doing awesome, better than ever, everyone will be cured on april 12th at 2:15pm EST by magical fairys and then we all get free ice cream. Also this is not a wig and my skin is naturally this color".

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
The head Cheeto In Charge....

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I still think there is a fine line between creating a bigger problem then the one you're trying to fix. I'm personally in survival mode for containing this virus and insuring economic survival.

I honestly believe that as individuals... the decisions we personally make to contain this is the best solution.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
So far, not much has changed for me.

As oil and gas, I'm categorized as "essential to life" (damn you people and your love of electricity and warmth), so Im still at work every day.

Less traffic, which is nice.

No nitrile gloves or masks available anywhere, so yay for terrible chemicals on my hands and weird dust in my lungs when what little I have left of both run out.

Food is a little more difficult. Thankfully a few local places that are more home style cooking are open, so I'm good there. For now. I really wish I would have stocked up on MREs before this. Live and learn.

Lots of materials and supplies that we use are in short supply, so learning that we're going to have to hoard a bit when this is over. And make due with what we have for now.

I've been sleeping at the shop to keep an eye on things. We have explosives and very expensive tooling on site, so we're a target if someone is looking to do something egregiously stupid, or wants expensive shit to try to sell. I don't sleep well at night and wake up from every "bump" that comes from the garages. Shortages tend to make people a little unpredictable, so a break in is a concern. My shop is in the middle of nowhere, so law enforcement cannot be relied upon unless someone is there to make the call. Then they have a 5-45 min response time. I've put a lot of work into my fence and make repairs to the chain link, barbed wire, and razor wire to deter folks. All that's done so far is piss off a lot of turkey that were dumb enough to dive bomb into the yard. Jokes on them if I run out of food. They're livestock now.

I've had to kill a LOT of rodents over this. My shop had mice, occasional muskrats (large creek behind the building), and bats. This being a rodent borne disease, they're all dead now. Sad to kill the bats, but I'm not taking chances.

I'm doing what I can to stop spread from myself and reduce the chance of becoming infected. So nitrile gloves (while I sti have them) and constant wiping crap down. I got to find out how filthy a gas pump handle is by wiping them down with clorox wipes before fueling. Gross.

The oil industry is taking our worst beating since the 80s. Many companies are running out of work. Many more yet have nothing on their books for the remainder of the year. Many companies were on life support when this started, and are not expected to make it much passed April.

As of today, we've seen an average 30-50% reduction in force since January, and more cuts are expected as the barrel price stays in the shitter. This is probably the worst time to have this happen as well. We're at a generational hand off as far as knowledge is concerned, as many of the retirement age guys leaving for retirement got in after the downturn in the 80s. So most of the old timers are leaving for good now. Which means we lose hundreds of years of combined experience, and many of these guys don't have anyone to replace them, or their protégés were laid off before they were. Already starting to see the effects of this with essential parts and technology drying up.

This is going to be a fight to come back out of this, and for petroleum, will likely take us at least a decade to fix.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
PJ... hang in there buddy.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
This is a no win situation no matter what your circumstances are.

Maybe the drug trials that were finally started this week on actual virus sufferers will show promise. They're currently testing remdesivir in our area. There are actually 37 locations across the country set up as testing locations, including the NIH clinical center in conjunction with Fauci's institute (NIAID). It's a long shot but could work. It worked fairly for ebola and some of other viral infections. Often the drug targets cross well or well enough to be effective.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Not that I wanna be a negative nancy but the coronavirus is one of the viruses that causes "the common cold". No one's found a cure for a cold in hundreds of years of modern science but somehow they are gonna cure this mutant strain in a couple weeks? :icon_confused:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I think...
The common cold is a blanket statement for a whole series of related minor virus borne ailments (each of which is some form of coronavirus).

This particular type of coronavirus is (so far) one very specific strain with a far higher mortality rate. We haven't developed a vaccine for the common cold because there were so many varieties and relatively minor. In this case it's both far more important and actually possible to develop a vaccine for a single strain.

Been wrong before a time or two.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
Actually they recently found this particular strain of Coronavirus to have a relatively slow mutation rate which is critical for effective vaccine production. Those less stable strain(s) is(are) responsible for a relatively small percentage of cold like illnesses and mutate rapidly (hence all the strains) as does the rhinovirus that causes the vast majority of cold like illnesses. We had made some decent progress on the SARS and MERS strains but they sort of disappeared and became of less importance. This work is very demanding in personnel and resources so things do get prioritized. Think about this next time you hear a politician cutting funding for basic research like the NIH or NSF.

BTW remdesivir is an antiviral drug not a vaccine and like a variety of others used for HIV etc. As long as the target doesn't mutate and the effect is specific then it will be very useful. We are throwing everything at it in preclinical trials and the actual clinical trials are a big deal. These drugs exist and can be made avaiable quickly in our current situation.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
@4.0blue98 - just curious, what's your background?

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
I'm actually a biochemist and work for an agency that is supported by our taxes and cares a great deal about the health of our nation and the world.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
I'm actually a biochemist and work for an agency that is supported by our taxes and cares a great deal about the health of our nation and the world.
WOW !!! I just knew there were some good people out there who really cared. Nice to know that some of my tax money is going to a good agency instead of paying for a caddy on a golf course in an un-named location in Fla.
Grumpaw

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
In response to our moderate Republican governor's actions to increase unemployment and help low income people through this mess, there was an article in our liberal biased local paper bashing him for not doing more for "undocumented immigrants". This person wants him to spend more of the taxpayers' money on people who are here illegally and don't pay taxes. Government operates on money from taxes paid by citizens with the expectation that the government will use the money for things that benefit the citizens.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
In response to our moderate Republican governor's actions to increase unemployment and help low income people through this mess, there was an article in our liberal biased local paper bashing him for not doing more for "undocumented immigrants". This person wants him to spend more of the taxpayers' money on people who are here illegally and don't pay taxes. Government operates on money from taxes paid by citizens with the expectation that the government will use the money for things that benefit the citizens.
You mean like several hundred thousand dollars for fuel for a 747 to fly someone to Fla to play a round of golf ?
Grumpaw

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals