• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coronavirus

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My brother was tested positive with Covid-19 yesterday. I am guessing that the vaccine hasn't worked yet even though he got it 3 days ago. His roommate did not tell him that he got the Corona virus a couple of days ago.
Takes 3-4 weeks for the vaccine to become effective. I'd definitely tell him find a new roommate though. (y)

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If someone owes on me and I’m wearing pants, then I have to walk around all day wearing pants soaked with someone else’s pee.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I know a guy who's wife was diagnosed with covid and ended up hospitalized, dunno if he ever ended up getting it. Anyway he refused to tell his work that he was exposed and kept going in. He was a sanitation worker of some sort for the state and they had very strict rules about that sorta thing. He was also one of the anti-mask this is all a hoax morons. A week or so went by and his bosses found out that he was exposed through a contact tracing thing. He got fired. I don't know if he just didn't care or was worried about loosing money being in quarantine (the latter of which I fully understand). But the funny thing was, if he had simply told them he was exposed in the first place, they would have given him 10 days paid leave...

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If someone owes on me and I’m wearing pants, then I have to walk around all day wearing pants soaked with someone else’s pee.
You know pants are removable right?

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Seems like this is much more of a 'first-world' problem, if any of the published reports on the death rates are even remotely close to being true. Wondering if people not having cars and having to walk everywhere keeps them in much better shape?

We might be a little too out of shape for our own good, in this country. Just a thought.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
How do you get actual reports from places that don't even have hospitals let alone testing or ways of keeping track of that sorta thing? These are places that barely have a government or in some cases simply don't have any government. The U.S and Canada have high numbers because there are actually people counting.

Plus as @RonD pointed out, people in these places aren't out traveling and partying every day. They are busy farming dirt. Not a huge influx of people are traveling too these places either cause well... why would you? It's super easy to self isolate when your poor, have no where to go, no way to get there, and no one wants to be near you...

And as a third point, most people from 1st world nations are too stubborn to let the slightest thing inconvenience them like wearing a mask in the grocery store or not going out clubbing. People in these third world countries have alot of experience with being ravaged by disaster.

So its most likely a mix of no one counting, good social distancing by design, and the general ability to be able to handle a crisis without complaining that gives a place like Ethiopia better numbers than the U.S.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can't see it being an "in shape" thing, but car's yes

To get covid you have to be near someone with covid
If traveling from town to town is not something that happens alot then chance of exposure is way less

And +1 to Dirtman, poorer countries have "been there done that" when there is a flu or "plague" around, and they KNOW there is no medical close by so they have been thru the drill of limiting exposure many many times before

We all like to make fun of "the stupid 'smart' or rich people" who can't change a tire............................
Well as far as the poorer countries WE ARE "the stupid 'smart' or rich people" who don't know how to beat a virus

Last edited:

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
I don't know how WHO comes up with their numbers, I don't write the newspaper articles or work for WHO. So we believe the numbers we want to believe, and ignore the ones we don't?

Most of our pharmaceuticals come from India, and the world's first heart transplant was in South Africa. We aren't the only country with advanced medicine in the world........ and in some respects ours is pretty primitive.

If we can only believe "our" numbers, then I also thought it was pretty fascinating comparing states with aggressive lockdowns, vs. states that didn't, and having very similar death rates across millions of people.

Seems that from day one on this, OUR medical experts were telling us that obesity was a major increase in risk of death from this stuff..... you don't see a bunch of obese people in the third world, for the most part. Huh..... food for thought, so to speak.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
India and South Africa are not third world countries.

The lockdown thing in the states is pretty easy to explain if you look at the numbers across time. States that locked down and implemented mask mandates early saw a slower climb in infection rates. It was never about stopping it, it was about slowing it. And inevitably lockdowns and mask mandates weren't gonna do much in the long run anyway because half of America ignored them. You can't claim social distancing and masks don't work when you're not using either...

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
California locked down first, and very aggressively. Disney remains closed in Cali.

Florida has the oldest population in the U.S., or nearly so, and far more lax. You can ignore mask mandates with impunity in Florida. Disney open in Florida.

So why are the death rates nearly the same between those two states? It's got to be part of the puzzle. There has to be an explanation in there somewhere. I was really shocked when I read about it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How do you get actual reports from places that don't even have hospitals let alone testing or ways of keeping track of that sorta thing? These are places that barely have a government or in some cases simply don't have any government. The U.S and Canada have high numbers because there are actually people counting.

Plus as @RonD pointed out, people in these places aren't out traveling and partying every day. They are busy farming dirt. Not a huge influx of people are traveling too these places either cause well... why would you? It's super easy to self isolate when your poor, have no where to go, no way to get there, and no one wants to be near you...

And as a third point, most people from 1st world nations are too stubborn to let the slightest thing inconvenience them like wearing a mask in the grocery store or not going out clubbing. People in these third world countries have alot of experience with being ravaged by disaster.

So its most likely a mix of no one counting, good social distancing by design, and the general ability to be able to handle a crisis without complaining that gives a place like Ethiopia better numbers than the U.S.
Actually in some ways most African countries almost have too much govt rather than not enough.

Going from country to country is a fairly big PITA. They give you the riot act, gonna take your car and throw you in prison as they prance around in camo with AK-47's before all this started. I think they locked down fairly hard beyond that during the pandemic too.

And yeah, when you have a half starved cow and a cart made from the back half of an old car for transportation... how far are you going to go anyway?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
California locked down first, and very aggressively. Disney remains closed in Cali.

Florida has the oldest population in the U.S., or nearly so, and far more lax. You can ignore mask mandates with impunity in Florida. Disney open in Florida.

So why are the death rates nearly the same between those two states? It's got to be part of the puzzle. There has to be an explanation in there somewhere. I was really shocked when I read about it.
I would say Florida's could have been much lower if they did more, and Calif. much higher if they did less
Which is why they are "the same"

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

My in-laws are old and in Florida... They live in what basically amounts to a retirement community on Estero Island. There’s about 7 towers of condos... so, lots of old people. Most of the people there have self-imposed restrictions...
They haven’t been going out for frivolous stuff.
They haven’t been meeting in large groups.
They have been wearing masks In the hallways and elevators.

It’s almost like all of them know that they’re the most at risk and like being alive.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Takes 3-4 weeks for the vaccine to become effective. I'd definitely tell him find a new roommate though. (y)
My wife is a nurse and has dealt with the situation from the beginning. let me start off by saying that the vaccine will not prevent everyone from getting the virus. Think about the flu vaccine. Some people who get the vaccine still get the virus. The vaccine is supposed to lower your chances to develop the virus and keep symptoms to a minimum if you don contract it. Everyone just needs to keep wearing masks and wash your hands before touching face and eating and such. Please be careful. I've lost a great aunt and 2 other friends to this damn thing already. Be safe clean and careful

Josiah Morgan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
He moved into a new room. His roommate doesn't want to go to the hospital he is putting everyone in the building at risk.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals