• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Core support replacement.

GMCguy1221

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Good evening gents! Trying to help my mother in law restore her 83 ford ranger 4x4 long bed dual tank. It’s a 2.3 carbed motor with a manual transmission. I see LMC sells a new core support for 85 and newer trucks. What is the reasoning why it won’t fit an 83? The 83 has some pretty substantial rust through out the core support so need to get it changed. Also the bronco II fuel tank should fit in the factory rear tank location as well correct?!?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The only thing I can think of is the light bucket pockets might be different. That could be solved by going to an 85 up front grill?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I did a quick search, the 1985 radiator is aluminum with plastic side tanks like my 1986 ranger. And it's cheap also. I ran into this with my 1984 Bronco II, I am assuming the 1983 you have is the same. Look at your radiator. It's brass and has the tanks top and bottom. That is the main difference, the radiator will not fit.
My 1984 radiator was leaking. I had the 1986 sitting there as a parts truck with a brand new radiator, but quickly found it would not fit. But with some modification I made the 1986 radiator fit the 1984.

If you wanted to buy the 1985 core support, and then buy a 1985 radiator to match, you might could make it work. You will need some small parts, like the rubber donuts that the radiator sits on, etc.

GMCguy1221

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thank you both gents! May try and fix the 83 with the mig rig but good to know! Need to throw some questions in the engine section! Thanks again

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
P.S. Something important that I forgot to mention; You may need new radiator hoses to match the later radiator.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals