• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cooling

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
Got my front end together today, I only have about 2in between radiator and engine, was thinking doing a Ford Taurus fan but their about 4 in thick . Here's a pic of the space I have

I think I already know what I have to do, cut support and recess the radiator forward but just looking if their are any other options out their?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i prefer to cut and mod the support for max radiator size and airflow.

its the logical choice ime. even early broncos that were designed for a v8 have cooling issues over their jeep counterparts because they have a much smaller engine compartment and radiator space/location and airflow capacity when directly compared..

they work fine with the nutless sub 250 hp stock offerings, but you swap a 400 hp 351 in there and your fawked without custom cooling.

theres several ways to do that with custom thick ass radiators that plug up with mud to opening up the fenderwells and widening the mounting area for more surface area in a thinner package.

i usually suggest to go with the 16/17x25 or 19x25 radiators from summit or similar....usually under 200 bux with a good taurus style fan and have no cooling issues with those setups. i can not tell what radiator you have there but it appears to be plenty to cool 400 hp or so if it will fit under the core header.

otherwise (obviously) you will have to put a fan out front of it and leave it like it is. and that might work out just fine for your particular application as well.

try it...you wont know unless you try it.:icon_thumby:

toledo_tommy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I went with a through radiator flex a lite " low boy " fan and mounted it on the front of the radiator. Mine is 2500 cfm and I haven't had a problem yet . Down side is the fan is about 300 and doesn't come with any relays . Good luck

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
Decided to move the radiator forward to give some more room. Was able to put a fan in their with a little room to spare. Still have to build a shroud for it. I'll see how this work, still may put a Taurus fan if this doesn't work. The radiator is from a ford 5.0 explorer.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I'm running a Taurus fan and explorer 5.0 rad and have zero cooling issues. I only have the low setting hooked up. Have taken it offroading a few times and sits right at 192 degrees, what my tstat is. Also turns on and off with a thermostatic temp switch that turns on at 195 and off at 185 but completely off when the ignition is turned off.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I ran across this tidbit while cruising the net. I have no idea if this would work in your application and have no experience with jeeps. But I put it here as a possibility, if not for you then someone elses search.

http://jeeptalk.net/index.php?showtopic=14114&st=0

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals