• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cooling system flush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 93 ranger guys , 2.3L manual trans . So I recently changed the radiator and thermostat on my truck , they were really bad ( I tried to clean it as much as I could ) . Then I realized my temperature gauge goes up for a little then goes back to cold , im about to change the water pump since it’s all rusty , so I’m wondering after changing it , do I have to bleed the cooling system and how can I really flush the engines part ? So all the dirty water/ coolant can come out

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
well hindsight being what it is.. if the water pump is rusty and the coolant looks horrible, you should have flushed. probably should have changed the water pump and flushed at the time you changed the radiator... you will now need to clean your new radiator out and flush it unfortunately... good luck!

AJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
well hindsight being what it is.. if the water pump is rusty and the coolant looks horrible, you should have flushed. probably should have changed the water pump and flushed at the time you changed the radiator... you will now need to clean your new radiator out and flush it unfortunately... good luck!

AJ
Yeah I don’t mind that part , I have coolant to spare , it’s just is there a reason why my temperature gauge is not going up ? At least to normal ? Cause it goes up when I’m parked but when I take off , it goes back down to cold and it stays there

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
could be a few reasons... air in the system, rust particles have wedged your new thermostat open so the truck doesn't warm up properly... when you are stopped not much air going across the radiator, and when you are moving it is, and since you have a new radiator it is more effective at cooling.

could be the sensor is bad too, but I would say yank the t-stat, replace the water pump, then hook it all up and flush it without the t-stat. when you have no crud and the water is clear, put a new t-stat in and fill it up with proper coolant. when you get the coolant back in, make sure that the truck is facing slightly uphil so that the radiator cap is the highest item in the cooling system. turn on the heat, turn the heater control to full hot and run. keep adding coolant until it has cycled a few times to get the air out of the system. while waiting for the t-stat to open, make sure the cap is on, be careful about opening it when hot... good way to get scalded. also if you didn't before, make sure your new t-stat has a jiggle valve on it so that air can escape when it is closed.

AJ

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well the 1993 2.3l has the coolant temp sender at the back of the engine, drivers side, bad placement so it does show cooler than the actual temp at the top front of the engine where thermostat is

Seen here: https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ranger-forums.com-vbulletin/500x441/0996b43f8021b7e1_d3c13ce3af4920cf917bb86d6913e996a27c731c.gif

In later years Ford moved it to the upper heater hose at engine end
But gauge should be steady, just not up at 1/2 like most Ranger V6's, maybe 1/3 on the 2.3l
And always use a 190-195deg T-stat

To refill without trapping air remove both heater hoses at the firewall
Refill thru radiator, when coolant starts to come out of hoses re-attach them

Also use garden hose on heater core to flush it out in BOTH directions
Also you should Reverse heater hoses at the firewall once a year, it will make core last longer
You don't lose coolant when you do this, well very very little

One other heads up about the heater core, its not expensive or hard to change on 1994 and earlier Rangers
And if it starts to clog up the temp gauge will go up and down for no reason, just random up and down
Thats because the heater core is the water pumps by-pass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
could be a few reasons... air in the system, rust particles have wedged your new thermostat open so the truck doesn't warm up properly... when you are stopped not much air going across the radiator, and when you are moving it is, and since you have a new radiator it is more effective at cooling.

could be the sensor is bad too, but I would say yank the t-stat, replace the water pump, then hook it all up and flush it without the t-stat. when you have no crud and the water is clear, put a new t-stat in and fill it up with proper coolant. when you get the coolant back in, make sure that the truck is facing slightly uphil so that the radiator cap is the highest item in the cooling system. turn on the heat, turn the heater control to full hot and run. keep adding coolant until it has cycled a few times to get the air out of the system. while waiting for the t-stat to open, make sure the cap is on, be careful about opening it when hot... good way to get scalded. also if you didn't before, make sure your new t-stat has a jiggle valve on it so that air can escape when it is closed.

AJ
Thank you !!!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well the 1993 2.3l has the coolant temp sender at the back of the engine, drivers side, bad placement so it does show cooler than the actual temp at the top front of the engine where thermostat is

Seen here: https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ranger-forums.com-vbulletin/500x441/0996b43f8021b7e1_d3c13ce3af4920cf917bb86d6913e996a27c731c.gif

In later years Ford moved it to the upper heater hose at engine end
But gauge should be steady, just not up at 1/2 like most Ranger V6's, maybe 1/3 on the 2.3l
And always use a 190-195deg T-stat

To refill without trapping air remove both heater hoses at the firewall
Refill thru radiator, when coolant starts to come out of hoses re-attach them

Also use garden hose on heater core to flush it out in BOTH directions
Also you should Reverse heater hoses at the firewall once a year, it will make core last longer
You don't lose coolant when you do this, well very very little

One other heads up about the heater core, its not expensive or hard to change on 1994 and earlier Rangers
And if it starts to clog up the temp gauge will go up and down for no reason, just random up and down
Thats because the heater core is the water pumps by-pass
Im sorry but what are the hoses to the “firewall” Im more of a Spanish speaking Person sorry

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Don't be surprised to see the over flow lose coolant level for a little bit after completing the job as the system burps the remaining trapped air out of the system and sucks in coolant to replace the displaced air. It should be done burping after a few days.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals