• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cooling fans for the 4.0 sohc

mwood1985

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
anyone know what mechanical fan i can use for a 2001 sohc engine? my original is got some warping that causes it to run off balance and i need to replace it. or what would i need to do to switch to an electric fan

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=394352 here is the one they list on rockauto.com its 21$ for a no name brand fan, or 32$ for the motor craft fan... plus shipping and handling. just log on to that site and look up your year and model.

That site has nearly everything, they even list parts for the electric version of the ranger. ive never even see one of those lol.

Also an electric fan ist worth it, unless you were running massive horse power and needed something to suppliment the stock fan. Its far less reliable. Considering that in an electric fan, the fan itself, the relay, fuse, wiring, etc can all fail cuaseing the fan to stop working.

With the stock fan?, the fan blades,the clutch,or the belt are the only things that if they fail will cuase a loss in cooling. and half the time, you know way ahead of time when ethier are going.

Trust me, i found this out the hard way when i almost cracked the heads on my old Bronco II, when i was wheeling and the cooling fan quit and i didnt notice till steam was pouring out from under the hood.

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You think warping causes out of balance... One time in a ford oneton dually one blade came off and went thru the hood! I never found it. But you want to talk about out of balance..I couldn't allow the engine to get above idle. Even then it was a handfull.
Big Jim

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals