• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant Temp sensor identification

RoamingCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Manual
I'm trying to figure out the name of the housing that the coolant temp sensor screws into on Limas. I've replaced it before but I cant figure out what the damn thing is called to search for now. Heres a pic.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Never seen that setup before, but it is a Hose bung

Usually, around that year, ECT sensor was on the Thermostat housing by-pass fitting
Seen here in View A: https://www.2carpros.com/questions/ford-ranger-1996-ford-ranger-thermostat
This is the SENSOR only used by the computer
The dash board temp gauge uses a SENDER, located drivers side rear of engine just below Oil Pressure sender/switch

In line bung could be used, seen here: http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/atm-2280_w.jpg

By-pass hose always has coolant circulating, it can be part of the heater setup but not controlled by heat setting.

Inline bungs are also used for electric cooling fan control on radiators, although usually on upper rad hose so fan won't activate until thermostat opens and coolant is flowing thru rad.

RoamingCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Manual
It doesn't look like it'll fit that kind of housing. The sensor has a long prong and when screwed all the way in it protrudes into the hose basically. I remember buying this part vehicle specific a few years ago but can't figure out the name it was under.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals