• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant problem

Rangerlife

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi. I have a 2011 Ranger 2.3L In-line 4 and been chasing a coolant problem for awhile. First 2 years every 3 months I had to add coolant no signs of a leak. Then I had to get a new radiator, system was tested and coolant flush no issue was found. No lights or codes, temp gauge doesn't show and cooling problems. But for awhile it stayed full til tonight I heard like a water running and boiling water sound so I looked and coolant is really low oil is brown was changed 4,000 miles ago. Floor boards aren't wet. Could use some help if anyone has this problem with a 2.3L or any idea where I should start looking maybe a coolant leak detector I can use that could help. Thanks new to this

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I saw a 2.0 do something like that once. Never did get to find out what broke. Ford Engineering wanted the ending back untouched to go over it themselves.

Rangerlife

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. All the Ford shops I been to they had the truck for 2 days and were clueless what is going on. Preesure test was fine but they can tell I lost coolant with no signs of where

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Borrow a pressure tester from a parts store. With the engine cold pump the system up to whatever the cap rating is, and then start it and let it run until it gets to temp. Then let it sit and cool down while you still have the tester on. Look for signs of pressure loss, or external leakage during the test. Some leaks only show up at certain temps, and can be small enough to make them hard to detect.

You can also get fluorescent dies to put in the coolant that can help trace small leaks.

Rangerlife

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok thanks. I'll post what I find and happens

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, put a UV(ultra-violet) dye into the coolant when engine is cold, drive it a few WEEKS, since coolant is a slow leak

Use UV flashlight at night to look for the traces/tracks of the UV dye.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals