• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant loss - but NOT heads!

ant.xlt.96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L v6
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys,

I've been dealing with a major coolant loss in my 96 xlt for about a month now. I bought the truck off of craigslist about four months ago and have been upgrading stuff since then, but am at a loss as to what's going on.

Recently, I put in new gaskets on the lower manifold, valve covers, and intake manifold hoping that might be the problem.

I've tested for cracked block / blown head gasket, but the truck passed the radiator gas test (http://www.uview.com/index.cfm?dsp=productdetail&id=45700&productid=5122). No oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. I did a partial compression test (my tool doesn't fit in the tight spots on the passenger side and kept blowing out the hose) and the cylinders with a true read were around 150psi.

It does have a squeal/ whine especially when it starts up. No puddles. New plugs and wires. New thermostat.

The next thing on my list is water pump, but would that fit the symptoms?

How else could the coolant get through the exhaust if everything else is solid?!?

Attachments

ant.xlt.96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L v6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking the worst now and am really concerned I've got a cracked block. I've already ripped it down to the lower manifold and replaced all the gaskets, but I still have white smoke exhaust and now there's a coolant puddle.

Either I f'ed up the gasket and made things worse or the problem is the head gasket and/ or block.

Was hoping I'd get a bit more time between having to tear it down again.

Just to clarify, if this was something as simple as the water pump I wouldn't have the white exhaust issue, right?

BTlilred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I lost my water pump there was no white smoke, you would have circulation issues and heating issues not white exhaust smoke. There is no way for a water pump to introduce water into the exhaust. If youre sure its not the heads then it must be a head gasket or block. Im in the middle of a full rebuild myself because of a head gasket.

ant.xlt.96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L v6
Transmission
Automatic
When I lost my water pump there was no white smoke, you would have circulation issues and heating issues not white exhaust smoke. There is no way for a water pump to introduce water into the exhaust. If youre sure its not the heads then it must be a head gasket or block. Im in the middle of a full rebuild myself because of a head gasket.
That's what I figured...

Got the new head gaskets on this weekend. Just need to get the intake manifold and belt back on before firing her up. No cracks in the heads or block, but definitely lacking any RTV. Felt like the previous owner changed gaskets as well, but didn't do a bang up job of it. I found a lot of "easy fixes" on the way in so I wouldn't be surprised if he had reused the head bolts and got some coolant seepage that way. Both gaskets looked like they weren't torqued down properly and had leaks between the coolant ports and cylinders.

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll get her running after reassembly.

BTlilred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good luck to you, my motor is on hold, its like 8°F right now with wind... not for me.

Tyler08FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys,

I've been dealing with a major coolant loss in my 96 xlt for about a month now. I bought the truck off of craigslist about four months ago and have been upgrading stuff since then, but am at a loss as to what's going on.

Recently, I put in new gaskets on the lower manifold, valve covers, and intake manifold hoping that might be the problem.

I've tested for cracked block / blown head gasket, but the truck passed the radiator gas test (http://www.uview.com/index.cfm?dsp=productdetail&id=45700&productid=5122). No oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. I did a partial compression test (my tool doesn't fit in the tight spots on the passenger side and kept blowing out the hose) and the cylinders with a true read were around 150psi.

It does have a squeal/ whine especially when it starts up. No puddles. New plugs and wires. New thermostat.

The next thing on my list is water pump, but would that fit the symptoms?

How else could the coolant get through the exhaust if everything else is solid?!?
can u tell where the coolant is coming from? i had a coolant spewing out from my engine block somewhere, an white smoke was coming from under the hood, my truck barely started, an had no power, i found out i blew out my block heater an coolant was coming out there. its a hard spot to see on the passenger side, but it was an easy fix in the end. was just something u dont think of. i thought i had blown a head gasket at first.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals