• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant leaking out passenger side of head

toms.abpg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Noticed some antifreeze under my 96 2.3 today and noticed a very consistent flow of coolant coming from the passenger side of the head where it meets the block. I’m guessing this means the head gasket is blown but I don’t see any water in oil, the truck has not overheated since I have owned it so I’m not sure of the cause. Any ideas? I guess it’s time to pull the head unless there is a possible other fix, any tips ?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It is possible for the head gasket to fail in a way that causes an external coolant leak (runs down the side of the block) rather than an internal one (coolant mixes with oil).

If you can see it actually running out of that spot, or if there are no coolant lines above it I'd say yes, the head gasket is most likely the issue. At least yours is easy.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If you know the history of the engine care, and it has had good antifreeze coolant its whole life, you could try re-torquing the head bolts. If it has not had such good maintenance, you may find that the block or head surfaces have rusted, and re-torquing would likely not do too much to help.
I would bet that if you checked the torque on the head bolts that they might be a little looser than spec. Then again, maybe not. I thought I had a leak situation, and re-torqued my had bolts and they were all tightened a bit less than spec. I have owned since new, and kept up the maintenance decently, but I thought I saw seepage also.
tom

telsar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Perhaps it is a freeze plug.

toms.abpg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you know the history of the engine care, and it has had good antifreeze coolant its whole life, you could try re-torquing the head bolts. If it has not had such good maintenance, you may find that the block or head surfaces have rusted, and re-torquing would likely not do too much to help.
I would bet that if you checked the torque on the head bolts that they might be a little looser than spec. Then again, maybe not. I thought I had a leak situation, and re-torqued my had bolts and they were all tightened a bit less than spec. I have owned since new, and kept up the maintenance decently, but I thought I saw seepage also.
tom
This is a good idea I will probably try, I do not know the history of the engine unfortunately, I am a decent home mechanic so I think I could do this job but haven’t decided yet, bought the truck for 100$ so yea

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals