• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Coolant leak

Kaydenspeed3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I just picked up a 1995 ranger with 158k for a steal. Only problem is there’s a coolant leak. It’s dripping from the trans so it’s got to be somewhere on the rear of the engine. It also doesn’t blow hot air( hoses to the core do get hot though.) and the temp and oil temp gauges are out of whack. So I’m assuming it needs a thermostat but I don’t think that can take a coolant leak all the way to the trans the way it does. I haven’t had a chance to get under it really and check it out yet but would love some opinions from people who have more experience with this vehicle than I do.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You want me to go look at it for you?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
One thing for sure, you have a problem in the heater core area, maybe stopped up there. However long that's gone on is a good question on that, it could even have developed a leak.
I'd start by looking that side over really good.
Up there you probably need heat anyway so why not, might even find that's where your "transmission" leak is originating.
You might not even have to get under just to see, take a good flashlight and take a good look from the top on the passenger side near the firewall

Kaydenspeed3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I’m going to pull it in today and take a look. I believe the leak is coming from the expansion plug under the header. Going to flush the core. Now I just need to figure out why the oil gauge is reading warm when the truck hasn’t been started yet

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals