• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

coolant leak from timing cover

komocazie74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well ill start off by stating what a great site this is and the info that ive gotten from here is very helpful. my ranger started leaking coolant and i assumed it was from the lower radiator hose, but a new hose didnt solve the problem. after disassembling the stuff that was in the way i found the leak,the timing chain cover(failed gasket). after a lot of searching ive found that the oil pan needs to be removed to remove the timing cover. i havent got the haynes manual yet to help with this process but will. any suggestions on this process like while youve got that apart replace this or that. i havent pulled the crankshaft pulley and dampener yet and i believe you need a special puller,i think i can rent one from schucks or napa is there another tool needed to put the crankshaft pulley and dampner back? all this for a leaking gasket. the truck is a 93 ranger w/ a 3.0 - 2 w/d any help is greatly appreciated.

michowski

Reaction score
You need a harmonic balancer puller. You can rent one at autozone or spend about 15 bucks and buy one for yourself. Since your taking the timing cover off I would also check the timing belt and see if that needs replacing since your already that far. Its a really easy process but may take a few hours since you have never done this. Also the water pump bolts are 2 different sizes so be sure to mark what goes were on the cover. Just take your time and try and lay the parts down in order of the way you took them off and reassembly will be a breeze then. Also besides picking up the new gasket I would also go over everything with some rtv silicone, especially in the corners to further help prevent leaks.

komocazie74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the reply. the new gasket kit i got had the timing cover gasket, water pump gasket, the new front seal and some rtv silicone. it also had a thin metal sleeve which i dont know where it belongs, there wasnt one when disassemlbled and in the haynes manual theres no mention of it - any ideas? i cant wait to get my work truck back.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals