• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant Leak at Overflow Tank

Steve777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
So I think all the coolant issues on my '94 B4000 have been solved (water pump, radiator, thermostat all new/replaced recently) except for this minor one. I am noticing some leaked coolant which is coming out where the elbow from the radiator goes into the tank. I do not think there are head gasket issues as there is no signs of exhaust in the coolant (or coolant in the oil) and the overflow tank is not super full, maybe at the 3/4 level when hot, at the cold fill line when cold. My drive takes me up and down a bunch of steep hills, so it seems likely that coolant could run out there from the downhill legs, and would explain the small wet spots I see there (maybe a couple tablespoons after a trip, and it is wet around this elbow).

When I look more closely at that elbow that has a tube that goes into the overflow, it looks like it is only held in by a couple of thin plastic pieces molded into the elbow, it has plenty of give for me to pull up on it and look around. There also seems to be the decayed remnants of a foam washer or the like which may have sealed it once upon a time.

So my question is, how is this elbow supposed to fit into the tank? Is it OK to just "glue" it in with some silicone sealer, or does the overflow tank need to "breathe" around that elbow, so I shouldn't seal it in.

Suggestions?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Subbed;
I don't know, but am interested in the answer.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The overflow tank does need to breathe. The system works on thermal expansion and vacuum, so air had to flow in and out. I am not real familiar with the real used that year. As long as the cap isn't sealed to the tank it should be OK to silicone things together.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals