• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant leak and pooched front oil pan gasket

Cowboy Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
2001 3.0 2wd auto, 120k mikes. I found antifreeze on my garage floor today. So I strolled under there on my creeper and I can’t tell where it originates from. Water pump / timing chain cover area. While under there I also noticed the oil pan gasket nearly pushed out in the front.

This is a new to me truck and I’ve only put about 300 miles on it since bringing it home. In quickly searching, it seems like the water pump / timing cover is a common problem. Not sure what to think about the pan gasket.

I want to do this right the first time, so any one with experience please advise.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is a new to me truck and I’ve only put about 300 miles on it since bringing it home.
I wonder if this issue was "fixed" just before you bought the truck. Replacing the front cover and getting the front of the pan gasket in place was tricky when I had to fix a coolant leak like yours. I ended up with an ill fitting front pan gasket which leaked. I ended up pushing the pan gasket in to create a pocket and just cleaning the sealing surfaces and forcing in RTV, let it dry and it's never leaked again. There is no pressure at the pan gasket.

There are a number of front cover/WP through bolts into the water jacket that need to have sealant applied to their threads before installation, if the previous owner did not pay attention to that, those may be leaking now.

I would recommend doing this over. Pull the front cover and maybe see some more, but plan on new WP and resealing, paying attention to the through bolts. You'll probably need a manual to identify which bolts, but when I did this and had doubt as to the bolt position I just sealed it anyway. You may be able to reposition the pan gasket and not need sealant, but if it leaks you can fix like I did without pulling the front cover again.

Cowboy Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I wonder if this issue was "fixed" just before you bought the truck.

I would recommend doing this over. Pull the front cover and maybe see some more, but plan on new WP and resealing, paying attention to the through bolts. You'll probably need a manual to identify which bolts, but when I did this and had doubt as to the bolt position I just sealed it anyway. You may be able to reposition the pan gasket and not need sealant, but if it leaks you can fix like I did without pulling the front cover again.
I think it's a pretty honest truck. Two prior owners - one to 30k miles and the second to 119k miles. I have a lot of the service history and nothing seems sketchy. It was only driven about 3-5k miles / year for the past umpteen years, so I can believe either a bad wp or front cover leak. I drove it 200+ miles on the way home and that was probably the most consecutive miles driven in a day that the truck had seen in quite a while.

I may try loosening the oil pan and pushing the gasket back in, and possibly replace the PCV valve for good measure. I'll also plan on a new WP and reseal including bolts. I have the factory service manual so I'll wade off in it and see what's required.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The bottom corners of the cover where they meet the pan gasket also require sealant.

Cowboy Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Ok the motor is coming out in a couple of weeks. Water pump, timing cover gasket, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, intake gasket, front oil seal, hoses. What else while it’s handy??

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
If you are taking the motor out... I'd check your freeze plugs as well. Spark plugs are nice to check as they can tell you how an engine is running. Depending on where the front O2 sensors are placed on an 01, might want to take a peek as those too. Should be easier to access with engine out.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
rear crank seal,, be sure to lube it to prevent dry start damage.

Cowboy Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Still on the schedule to do this - I'm hoping two or three more weekends to get after it. I'm not driving it until then. Not looking forward to it, but has to be done and I'm not going to half way do it.

Cowboy Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
My RockAuto care package arrived. Fun for days................just need a long weekend to gitter done now.

20191018_151647.jpg

Cowboy Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Is it possible to pull the motor and transmission together? Or easier to just pull the motor?

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i would just suspend transmission and pull engine. for alittle added room pull radiator and a/c condensor

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
should be able to do all of that by just pulling trans and raising engine off of the mounts a few inches to gain access to oilpan.. however i would do timing cover and waterpump first..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals